Domain blocklist, revised.

I'll take your word for it, since I can't see any popups. :)

I tried IE-SPYAD2 a few months ago, but it blocked a few of the websites I use, so I un-installed it, but then I had to re-install the spywareguide blocklist.reg file, and re-enable spywareblaster and spybot.

But included in with the IE-SPYAD2, in the adult folder, is a smaller blocklist named "adult.reg", which I install on my PC's, and it doesn't block any of the sites I use.

IE-SPYAD installs the blocklist in the HKCU part of the Registry registry and IE-SPYAD2 installs the blocklist in the HKLM part of the registry.

So download the IE-SPYAD2 file, so all users are protected, and even if there is only one user.

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/uiuc/resource.htm

The spywareguide blocklist.reg and BoardBabe's DomainBlocklist.reg are both installed in the HKLM, so you can't see the list in Internet Options, you can only see the list that's installed in the HKCU.

Listed in the site above is a link to a small free util named ZonedOut that allows you to view and edit/add/remove the blocklist in both the HKCU and HKLM.

Here's a direct link to the website, download link is at the bottom of their page.

http://www.funkytoad.com/zonedout.htm

If anyone is interested, I emailed spywareguide last week asking about the blocklist, I got a reply this morning.

XBlock Customer Support <support@xblock.com> to me

More options 4:28 am (13 hours ago)

Hello,

SpywareGuide.com is no more providing the Blocklist file through our website. However, users who have purchased the Blocklist license can download the same from member’s area of XBlock websites.

You may post the Blocklist that you have, as SpywareGuide.com was distributing it as a freeware. However, please note that we do not support it and there will not be any further updates available for the blocklist.

So, we do not recommend providing the file through a third-party website.

Best Regards,

SpywareGuide.com Support Team

http://www.xblock.com/support.php

-

... wondering... is there any way that this cmd file can be silent?

I tried using CMDOW and changing the script... but I still get a command window telling me 'Operation completed successfully'... for every entry :(

I don't see why using CMDOW @ /HID would not work as normal, however I have to redirect this question to Yzöwl who designed this cmd file and without doubt is the cmd expert around :)

The .reg file would be completly silent btw.

That's easy enough to answer, it does run each command silently

At the end of each line in the cmd you will find >NUL, that will prevent the 'Operation completed successfully' message being echoed to the console for every line entered.

At the end of each line in the cmd you will find >NUL, that will prevent the 'Operation completed successfully' message being echoed to the console for every line entered.

So, I kinda confused trying to understand what you wrote...

you mean, I can erase every instance of >NUL and the message will not apper anymore?

...and one side question... the REG file & CMD file both register all the same domains and do basicly the same thing right?

Thanks

With @ECHO OFF, at the head of the script and >NUL at the end of each of the REG ADD lines, no 'successfully' messages will output to the console, in fact, nothing at all will output to the console in the unaltered file as downloaded.

• 2 weeks later...

I re-installed windows XP on someones computer, and I installed BoardBabes Domain Blocklist and Spywareguides blocklist.

This guy is retired and likes to play bridge online thru msn.com.

You have to login to msn.com to play games, and it downloads and installs MSN Gaming Zone software.

When I got to the page that downloads the MSN Gaming Zone software, it says that it couldn't install the software.

I tried all the suggested settings to try and make it work, security, cookies, popups, etc., but nothing worked.

I read that it might have something to do with the ActiveX settings, so I tried enabling all the ActiveX settings in IE but no luck, I even tried FireFox and got the same error, but I later found out that MSN games don't work with FireFox.

Finally I thought of re-enabling all the ActiveX controls in Spywareguide's blocklist.

I loaded the blocklist.reg file into wordpad (notepad is too slow), and replaced all the killbit dword:00000400 with dword:00000000, then I installed the new file UNblocklist.reg, with enable bit(all zeros), and all the ActiveX controls were enabled.

This worked, now I was able to install the MSN Gaming Zone Software.

Once it was all installed and everything seemed to work, I re-installed the blocklist.reg file with the killbit (400 HEX), and I got the same error as above, once I installed the new file UNblocklist.reg with the enable bit(all zeros) the games worked again.

I right clicked on the MSN page and found the CLSID, and tried to enable just that CLSID but the games still didn't work.

Sooo, I wanted to know how I can find the ActiveX control CLSID's of the MSN Games so I can enable just those and leave all the other blocklist.reg ActiveX controls disabled.

Or should I leave all the blocklist.reg ActiveX controls enabled and only use Boardbabes Domain Blocklist???

Which is how it is currently setup.

This is the error I got.

MSN1.jpg

-

Edited by dstone2006

What on earth

If the above sounds harsh then sorry, but what exactly is it you are wanting help with.

The blocklist only adds 'dubious' sites to a restricted sites list. If you need access to one of those sites then remove it from your restricted sites. At the top of the dialog within your graphic, there will be, (sorry I don't have a magnifying glass), a domain name matching one in the list; that is likely what you need to remove.

The blocklist will not prevent the installation of a program, it may however prevent access to a site where an online installation could be undertaken. This is actually a good indication that the list is doing it's job, please therefore note that there is likely a good reason why that site is on the list in the first place.

I thought I explained it clearly.

I'm refering to the Spywareguide Blocklist.reg file, and NOT BoardBabes Domain_Blocklist.reg file.

What I want to know is how do I find the CLSIDs in the spywareguide blocklist.reg file that are blocking the MSN Gaming Zone from loading in IE???

There are 2 CLSID's that are labeled with MSN Gaming Zone, but enabling those 2 still doesn't let me play the MSN games.

I have to enable all the ActiveX controls in the blocklist.reg file, by setting the killbit to zeros, to get the MSN to work, because I don't know which are the CLSIDs that correspond to the MSN Gaming website, and I don't know how to find them.

My understanding is that blocklist.reg doesn't block websites, it blocks ActiveX controls from being installed or loaded.

For people who don't know what CLSID is, here's an example of an ActiveX control in the blocklist.reg file.

This is my understanding of how ActiveX controls work, if i'm wrong please correct me.

That long HEX(alphanumeric) number is the CLSID that identifies a specific ActiveX Control.

There are over 3618 in the blocklist.reg file, and the "dword:00000400" at the end is the kill-bit that disables the ActiveX control from loading or installing thru IE.

If you set the kill bit to all zeros, "dword:00000000", this enable the ActiveX control and it is allowed to load or install thru IE.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX Compatibility\{4ac8a69e-d14f-4833-7fe3-065f138ee536}]

"Compatibility Flags"=dword:00000400

Edited by dstone2006

What is clear about posting problems about another product called blocklist inside a thread about an unrelated product with the same name, hence my unrelated tongue-in-cheek response.

How about posting it as a new thread in an appropriate location and request for it and any related responses to it be removed by the Mods then!

• 2 weeks later...

@BoardBabe - I had a customer with an issue trying to install her SBC DSL service, because it said there was blocked content...

... I personally don't have SBC DSL, or setup disks for that matter to confirm/deny this issue. Would someone be able to test this and see if it is indeed an issue or not?!

Thanks,

Dave