[Help] Problem accessing Data Files

elduderino

Hi

XP Pro

I have a backup Hard Drive, and i cannot Access Files in one of the folders

I have checked that i am the owner of the Volume, folders, and all files.

The folder was encrypted, and i was able to remove the encryption.

I am not able to remove the encryption from any files within the folder. i am unable to open the files also.

I am able to delete the Folder and files.

I have checked the Folder/Files Security, Permissions and Ownership, and all seems to be set correctly.

The Volume is 120GB in size, with 90GB used.

I do not have any problems with anything else on the Volume.

Can you confirm that taking Ownership at the Volume level, means that all folders/files within are owned (with a tick in replace owner on sub-containers and objects)

The Hard drive is a clone of a Previous Smaller Hard drive, and the folder was encrypted before i cloned the new hard drive. Should i have removed the encryption from the folder before cloning?

Thanks

Please NOW in Microsoft Windows XP section, use [TAGS] in your topic's title.

See rules

--Sonic

The "own way" it's just for NTFS permissions ...

For encrypted folder you will can access to the data with only the same User session which it encrypt the folder, you can export certificates and reimport to the new system to decrypt data too. But if the old system is erased, sorry to say, but you have lost all data. I have heard there are some program to hack the crypto but I havn't see any success stories.

When you encrypt data, there should be a recovery agent who can deencrypt your data and give you access again. Or, you could try and use the windows backup utility which has this niftylittle work around. I've only tried the win2k backing up xp but it should work the same. Open the utility up, on the first page of the wizard, if you have it, click the Advance Settings button. It's in blue. Click the backup tab and choose which files you cannot access. Click browse to choose a place where you can later access the file, and click Start backup. Click start backup again on the new window. Once you do that, click the restore and manage media tab. Keep clicking the plus signs next to the files and folders of your backup. Or collapsing to keep it technical. Put a checkmark on the file(s). In the restore files to drop down list, click alternate location and click browse. Then choose where you want the file, or leave it in it's default location. Click Start restore. This time, click the advance button and clear the Restore security check box so that it doesn't have a checkmark. Leave the rest as-is and click ok. Click ok again and just wait a while depending on how much you've backedup.

Hope this helps.