PSU & mobo incompatability!?

LordFett

I just purchased an ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail motherboard and tried to install it in my A-Top Xblade 450w case. The plugs appear to be identical, but the socket on the mobo is much bigger then the plug coming from the PSU. Is there some kind of adaptor I need? Or am I going to have to replace my power supply?

The case says mobo compatibility ATX and the mobo is an ATX. What is going on here?

Awesome. The case I am using for the computer is actually the A-Top Gladiator with the gaming PSU. It isn't due to arrive for another week so I wanted to put the new computer together in my old case. Hoping the newer case and psu have the right connection.

If not I'll be all over this adaptor.

Ok reading over the reviews of the cable this isn't what I need. The plug on the mother board is larger (and not because of more pins it is like comparing a 15" monitor to a 19" monitor. They're both monitors but one is just bigger then the other). I will try and get some photos and post them.

Pros: Plugs into a 24 pin socket.

Cons: Does not help solve the problem that the 24 pin sockets were installed to take care of.

Also, 20 pin plugs will work in 24 pin sockets already.

Other Thoughts: My understanding: The extra pins include an additional +12V pin (for two), and that this reduces the chance of a pin burning out under heavy load.

A halfway solution: continue with your current PS. A better one: buy a brand new PS (unfortunate).

A good starting reference explaining the situation:

Comments: I have to say it works, however my system worked fine without it. I feel safer with it on. No diffrence in Mobo or peformance. It should have come with the power supply. They rake you for every penny.

These two reviews in particular concern me. My power supply won't plug into the motherboard... At all. These they are saying they can plug in, just have extra pins after they plug in.

It should plug in...but the clip on the PSU's power connector will not line up to the catch on the motherboards power connector. The power plug will be all the way to one side with 4 open pins on the other end of the motherboard connector.

Edited by nmX.Memnoch

You were right. I went home and looked again and they're exactly the same execpt for the 4 extra pins. I will order the adaptor you linked.

I guess I was just seeing red when I first went to hook everything up and it didn't mesh. I was thinking the plug on the mobo was physically larger then the psu (other then the 4 extra pins).

Thanks for the help.

the bad thing about doing that is that vibrations can cause the power connecter to fall out, that can suck in the middle of playing BF2 online
Hehe...I didn't say I would trust it that way...I just said it would work. :D

A lot of newer power supplies are coming with 24 pins but the extra four can be detached from the main connector if the motherboard only has a 20-pin connector.

20 to 24 pin adaptor arrived today, but FedEx is playing games with my case. No idea when it will arrive, so I stuck everything into my old xBlade case for now (well my daughter did, she was very excited to be building a computer, she is 6).

Specs:

ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 1GHz FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor - Retail

BIOSTAR V6602GS21 Geforce 6600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

ZALMAN CNPS7000B-AlCu LED 2 Ball Blue LED Light Cooling Fan/Heatsink - Retail

ASUS Black E-IDE/ATAPI DVD Burner With 5X DVD-RAM Write Model DRW-1608P2S BK - OEM

2gb PC3200 RAM

WD 250gb (I hate WD, but it was cheap)

Dual Boot:

WinXP Pro

SUSE 10.0