Memory & Win 98

Walks_Tall

:wacko: I have a Windows 98. When you turn the system on you have like a dos screen, and on it , it gives you descriptions of this and that. Also it says I have '' 126 MB '' of Memory...When you power on and go : Start Menu , Accessories , System Tools , System Information..... It say I have '' 112 MB '' of Memory...Whats up with this...How much need for Windows 2000 Pro ?? Have extra Memory stick and installed it but still registers same as above ? :wacko:

Thxs,

Walks_Tall

that seems really odd to me because you can only buy ram in...

32mb

64mb

128mb

256mb

512mb

and as you will probably see they all add up to eachother

ex 32+32=64

64+64=128, etc etc

Edited by wolf74481

something says you rgraghics card is using too much ram, 16megs is way to much for any desktop work unless your runing at like 2560*1600@32bit asuming your not dueing that you can saftley run your card with 8mb of ram thus further killing whatever hope of preformance you had for recent games.

i would look into 256 pc133 sticks of ram for that computer, even if you only get one it would help out ALOT, however i can say a nlited windows 2000 instalation will work nicely on that machine.

isent it a little anoying that to nlite a os you have to be runing a os that requires that amount of rescources?

that seems really odd to me because you can only buy ram in...

32mb

64mb

128mb

256mb

512mb

and as you will probably see they all add up to eachother

ex 32+32=64

64+64=128, etc etc

What he has is probably a 64, 32, 16, 8, 4, and 2M of memory (old mobos are known to have many RAM sockets, with 6 - 8 being standard). This machine was probably upgraded many times.

As for the VRAM, 4Mb should be enough. Until very recently I was using an unbranded 4M card at 1280x1024x24, it worked perfectly fine for general desktop work.

Edited by LLXX