Plextor DVD Burner

Plextor drives have always been highly regarding as being very reliable drives. However, if you want to save some money you won't go wrong with the Pioneer drive either. I have a Pioneer A08XL in my system and haven't had a single problem with it. The only thing I don't like is their slower than "standard" CD burning speeds...but I have a 52X CD burner in my system to take care of that little problem. :)

Plextor is like the Western Digital of the burning world. When you ask if it's worth it, it depends on how much burning you are going to be doing. If you wont be burning constantly, and by that I mean every minute of every day, then you can go for a lower price brand.

Personally, I would spend the extra money for a Plextor. I've done so with 3 different Plextor drives over the years and all three still work like they're brand new. They've been solid and reliable for me. I think, as with most opinions these days, it's subjective. The technologies used by the manufacturers are all good but in the end it comes down to the quality of the manufacturing. For me, I'll stick with Plextor because they haven't let me down.

So, the real question is this. Can you afford to spend the extra money on the Plextor and if so will you be happy spending it? If the answer is no then the choice is obvious...

rotjong