Problem with TV Viewing

Before I ask my question, let me give you my specs.

ASUS P5VD1-X MB

Intel P4 3.0GHz (800MHz FSB LGA 775) CPU

1 G PC3200 RAM (2x512)

ASUS NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Video Card

AOpen Cobra 850 Sound Card

Hauppauge WinTV PVR 150 MCE

AverMedia AverTVHD (A180)

Maxtor 2B020H1 (20 GB) HHD (System)

Segate ST380011A (80 GB) HHD Recording

Media Center 2005

Power DVD 6 (w/ Patch)

The problem I am having is that whenever I try to watch TV, the system completely locks up. This happens with both live and recorded and analog and digital (however, my TV viewing is almost exclusively watching recorded analog shows). I will usually get about 2 min into the show before this happens. Also everyone and a while MCE behaves and it doesn't happen. Another problem is that in addition to my difficulties with viewing TV, MCE sometimes locks up when I try to use the radio function. Not sure if this is related to the TV problem or not.

Over Christmas, I complete rebuilt my system to get better performance and it was working very well for a few weeks. Now, this problem surfaces. I have tried reinstalling my decoders (i.e. Power DVD), Windows Media Player, and even Media Center iteself (which did fix the problem for 2 days). My system passes all the DirectX tests and also the MS decoder check. When I run MCE diagnostic, I get a a warn on "All Video Connections meet D3D9 caps requirements" for "optionals not met." Other then that everything meet all the MS specs.

I am running the latest (as of Jan 1) drivers for my sound and both TV tuners and the 77.79 NVIDIA drivers.

Thanks!

cweinhofer, the latest nvidia driver is now;

Version: 81.98

Release Date: February 7, 2006

I found these a BIG improvement on the version you are using, (and I use a Geforce4 mx420!)

I'd also download a trial version of the nvidia decoder and set it as default with the decoder checkup utility just to see if helps any.

You could also try with only one tv tuner, I believe you have two?

• 2 weeks later...

I eventually got so despirate that I again wiped the system and reinstalled. This time I made a point to install the PowerDVD patch before all the Microoft updates. The system now works like a charm. I have been running it for a week now with no problems.

Oh, and to answer the two questions above, yes the 81.98 drivers do seem to work better. Also, yes you will have the problem with the driver CD (ASUS sees MCE as different from XP). I just did a manual install using the hardware wizard and the dirvers seem to work fine.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I am having the same problem as was described in this chain:

From time to time the picture will freeze up (choppy at first for a few minutes and then totally frozen). It seems to happen more often with standard TV than with HD TV, but I do find it happening with both. I don't have cable right now, so all signals are coming in over the antennae. Since it is happening with both the HD TV card and standard TV card, it would not seem to be those cards causing the problem (although I could be wrong on that). I have an AMD dual core 3800 as the CPU, so I wouldn't think it could be a CPU problem (seems powerful enough). I have 2 Gigs of RAM, so that would seem sufficient to handle the demand as well. The only thing I could think that would be causing the problem is the hard drive not being able to keep up with recording the video. I have a 300 GB SATA drive with about 120 GB free at this point (there's a lot of media currently on there). All other functionality on the system seems to be working fine (watching DVDs from the HD, playing music, viewing pictures, etc).

I'm using the Pure Video DVD player from nvidia. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with this.

Does this sound like the same problem? Any recommendations for fixing it?

I re-installed the roll-up but it didn't seem to solve my problem. I no longer seem to have the issue with watching HD television, but standard television still pauses every few seconds and is very "jittery". Has anyone else had similar problems? Are there any other suggestions?

Thanks!