[Question] Is thers a way to edit the registry on a slaved HDD?

ForceFed

I have a Ghost Image that I want to add some drivers to but it seems that the OEMPNPDrivers line will not modify the line in the registry if it is already present. :realmad: What I planned to do was push the image to a clean HDD, Slave it, modify the sysprep.inf oempnpdrivers line and add the drivers folders but it will not work. Is there a way to modify the registry on the slaved drive so I can remove the pnp drivers line so that it will be recreated on first startup?

Please NOW in Microsoft Windows XP section, use [TAGS] in your topic's title.

See rules

--Sonic

You cannot edit the image directly but once restored to a partition you can then easily edit the registry by loading the appropriate hive.

So what you are saying is that once the image is on a HDD and the HDD is slaved in I can just use regedit to load the appropriate HIVE and edit it from there?

Where is the HIVE for "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DevicePath" located?

It will be in %SystemRoot%\system32\config and doesn't have a file extension.

Failing that you could just restore the image to a fresh system, boot it, make your changes, re-sysprep and recreate the image. Either way you're going to have to recreate the image.

Edited by nmX.Memnoch

mmm there a couple of different ways to do.... you could load the GHO file into something like ghost walker then run regedit and edit the registry without having to restore the image to another Computer. I am not sure if you can do this with a PE disc or you are better suited to drop the drive into another machine and complete the task that way.

I see one solution ... restore image on a computer (don't boot at all to keep system untouched) , boot from Avast! Bart CD which it's include "Avast Registry Editor" .. it will load your registry .. modify it and shutdown. After re-make ghost of the system.

I see one solution ... restore image on a computer (don't boot at all to keep system untouched) , boot from Avast! Bart CD which it's include "Avast Registry Editor" .. it will load your registry .. modify it and shutdown. After re-make ghost of the system.

Thanks for all of the comments and help guys. I did a search for Avast Bart CD and the only thing I found cost $200.00 which wasn't an option. I did however find a solution which I will explain for future reference.

1. I pushed my Ghost image down to a clean Hard Drive and then shut the system down.

2. I slaved the Hard Drive into another system and copied the new driver folders to the Hard Drive.

3. Next I opened the registry editor (regedt32), Highlighted HKLM, and clicked on Load Hive.

4. The File I loaded was "%systemroot%\System32\Config\Software" (named it zzz).

5. From there I was able to locate the DevicePath value under "microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion".

6. I added the value for the folders containing the Drivers I added to the image.

7. Unloaded Hive and closed the registry editor.

8. Shut Down the system and saved the new image.

It worked like a charm!

• 3 months later...