Setup HP Disk Array and Diskpart without rebooting?!?!

crestj

I am PXE booting a server and booting it into a WinPE image using Microsoft Automated Deployment Services.

When the server is connected to the ADS server I run a sequence which sets the disk array and then runs diskpart to create the partitions.

Unfortunately Diskpart is only showing the first of the 3 logical partitions that I create using the cpqacuxe utility.

I've tried restarting the Logical Disk Manager service and running a diskpart rescan but nothing helps.

Has anyone had any luck with this?

Thanks

Tony

I see this proble somewhere on th net can't remeber where.... However the guy actuall said he solved this problem by making it a dymanic disk first then converting it back.

I have not tested this yet as I am still on the first part of WinPE.

If you get this working by the way could you let me know as we deal in HP Servers as well

Dan

It's more of a problem with the way Windows treats Disk volumes. As it was decrbibed to me... You have to "kicks" the os into discovering the disks. Sorta like inserting a Cd and the OS never tells you that you did.

I got around this by using a disk manipulation tool sthat we wrote that asks the OS for the Active drive aprtition and actually writes the Master boot recored to a backup file on teh temp Drive (Z). Once I did that Any volume that I created was immediatly found by the OS.

I deal in HP, Dell, IBM and VMware.... Works like a charm.

Chris

• 1 month later...

It is a tool we wrote in house. I am sorry I cannot give it out.

But you can do a google search for MBRWIZ written by Roger Layton. That tool is similar in function. I spoke to Roger last week and he also has compiled it fr 64 bit.

Chris