File Storage Server

Whats up guys!?

Im sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I had no idea what forum this should be in. But it has to do with a server so i placed it in here.

I've had about 600 extra pieces of computer parts in my house so i just built an extra computer out of them. And i have an idea of using it as a File Storage Server. How would i go about this. THe server would be located on my network. I would like for my friend(on a different network thats remote) and I(on the same network) to be able to access this server and be able to transfer files in and out of it. So we both have access to the files we both place on there. How would i go about doing this?

Thanks,

Matrix :)

ok i set it up on my computer right now, and told me friend to install and create a network. Just to see it and see how it works. Now my friend created the network. Im connected to the network and i can chat with him through the network. Except everytime i try to browse it, an error window pops up saying, "The path"\\5.20.220.161' does not exist or is not a directory"

?!

Not if you have the patched file.

The "patched" file only allows more than 10 half-open connections. It has nothing to do with how many users can concurrently connect to a single share. This is limited to 10 connections per share on Windows XP (Home, Pro or otherwise).

I'm assuming Hamachi is basically just setting up a VPN tunnel? If this is the case, can it be setup on a "permanent" basis (i.e. run as a service)?

I did all that, same error message pops up. Is there any other possible way i could set up connectiing to the server? Like something that connects to it using Windows XP Professional? For me, i know alot about Windows XP Professional, just trying to combine my knowledge with that to help me with this problem. Both my friend and i have XP Pro.

Edited by matrix0978

Not if you have the patched file.

The "patched" file only allows more than 10 half-open connections. It has nothing to do with how many users can concurrently connect to a single share. This is limited to 10 connections per share on Windows XP (Home, Pro or otherwise).

I'm assuming Hamachi is basically just setting up a VPN tunnel? If this is the case, can it be setup on a "permanent" basis (i.e. run as a service)?

Yes, see this topic: http://forums.hamachi.cc/viewtopic.php?t=5439

• 2 weeks later...