Network problem

JimmyW

All of a sudden, I can't get out to the web on the XP64 side of my machine. It's built on a Tyan 2895 with 2xOpterons and onboard gigabit. The nic is fine, as I can access my local intranet, and I can get out to the web on the XP32 side. When I try to get to the Intenet, I fnd that I can't get past my DHCP server. I've tried with two different DHCP servers, and it's not an issue with them. I can ping the DHCP servers, but nothing beyond them. I'm pretty sure that it's a setting on my box, and hope there's an XP64 network expert out there who can lend some advice. Thanks!

The problem exists with IE32 and IE64.

>Can you ping 127.0.0.1?

Yes

>Can you ping your default gateway?

Yes

>Can you resolve names?

No

>Can you tracert to well known sites?

No

My DHCP server is my default gateway, but the Default Gateway did not show up in ipconfig until I entered it manually, although that did not get me out to the Net. Thanks very much!

First, this should be posted on the Networks, Internet & Security forum.

The problem is on your DHCP scope options. You need to add the right DNS Server IP and the right Gateway, so, when the DHCP provides you with a IP, it also gives you all the other "stuff" you need. (DNS, Gateway)

Edited by Gouki

Thanks for the suggestion. Sorry if I posted to the wrong forum, but since this issue is unique (in my case) to XP64, I thought I'd post here.

I manually set up the IP, subnet, default gateway, and prim/alt DNS servers. Still can't get out. The same, manual setup can get out on the 32 side. If things worked as they should, everything would be supplied automatically, as on the 32-bit side. I was able to get out a few weeks ago in 64, using the auto IP/DNS, so something's gone wrong in the meantime.

Things dont get supplied automatacly.

If you have a DHCP Server, you need to configure the scope by wich he will be assigning IP addresses. Configuring a DHCP Server Scope options is not saying it will give IPs from 10.0.0.x - 10.0.0.y.

You can, and should, define on the Scope Options, the DNS server, NetBIOS, Gateway, etc etc. You have allot of options.

If you cant "get out", thats a ottaly different issue. Try ping something outside your network/subnet (using IP and FQDN). If IP works and FQDN doesnt, you have a DNS problem.

You need to make a drawing on paint or something to help us understand your network.

Thanks again. Normally, I could get out to the NET by simply chosing to obtain IP and DNS automatically. I still can't get out even if I "hard code" the IP/Subnet/Gateway/DNS. My gateway/DHCP is 192.168.0.1. My machine is 192.168.0.3. DNS service is enabled. Below is a partial printout:

Active Routes:

Network Destination.........Netmask.........Gateway...........Interface

I believe that the first line reveals an error, being that the Interface should be my IP address of 192.168.0.3, and not 192.168.0.1. I can ping my DHCP, but I cannot ping an outside IP or FQDN. Regarding the network, I go directly from the NIC to a switch, which goes to the DSL router, and that setup works on the 32-bit side of the same machine/same NIC. I'd be happy to supply any further details. Thanks!

Is this machine multi-homed?

If that is output from "route print" on the XP x64 machine then it seems to imply that it has 2 interfaces (or at least 2 bound IP addresses) on the 192.168.0.0/24 network...

I agree with Gouki that we need either a diagram of your network to understand the layout, and ideally the complete output from:

ipconfig /all

route print