LAN Problems

Installed my unattended installation of XP SP2 and I have this problem: I can see others on my LAN and I`m able to use network resources, but others cannot see me at all on the network, they can`t even ping me. Is there any setting that causes this ? I do have file and print sharing on, computer browser, server and workstation services running. Pleeeze help ! It`s very important for me.

My guest account is Active and it`s not present in "Deny access to this computer from the network" in Group Policy Editor. And it`s not the problem that it asks password, when someone tries to access it it says "Path Not Found". But I CAN access other people computers in my LAN. Does anybody know why this happens ? Please help !

Are you sure others' PC have been configured correctly the way you mention above? Have you enabled NetBIOS for the net adapter of others' PC?

One more thing, "enabling guest account" is not the same as "activating guest account". I came across this issue before, i could see others but others could not see me, i used the method mentioned above and it worked.

Edited by Rico.JohnnY

Guest account is ENABLED on my PC. And NetBIOS is removed with nLite on my PC, but enabled on others` computers. But this is not the problem. I used to remove netbios with nlite every time and had no problems.

I came across this issue before, i could see others but others could not see me, i used the method mentioned above and it worked.

Which method are you talking about ?

And one more thing: I gave a friend of mine my Unattended XP installation. And I can "see" him on the LAN and he can see me. But it`s like we`re isolated from the rest, others cannot see us. .. strange. Do you have an explanation for these ?

PS: Thanx for the replies.

According to what you say, it seems both your PC and your friend's have been correctly configured the same way, coz the OS is installed from the same CD. For Lan access configuration, no more than these steps.

1. Enable file and printer sharing,both for network adapter and firewall.

2. Enable computer browser service.

3. Turn on guest account and activate it (use net user guest /active: yes)

4. Allow guest to access each other by editing group policy.

5. Use the same workgroup.

6. Turn on NetBIOS.

If it still doesn't work, turn off firewall and try. Make sure others' PC have been configured the way above.

Edited by Rico.JohnnY

So odd an issue.The only cause i can think of is the Firewall. Have you tried turning off the firewall and pinging each other ? Or you can try typing ip address in the explorer address bar directly to access the others, sometimes this method works, of course, all of your lan users' ip address must be in the same network segment.

If none of these helps, i am really not able to give any suggestion. Maybe some other reasons cause this, such as router config, hardware issue etc.

Hm...I don`t use any firewall .. only the windows built-in one .. with the default settings. Hardware issues ? Don`t think so .. Anyway, thanx a lot Rico.JohnnY. If anyone encountered these issues, please help !

Edited by xpmaniac4ever

Tried remaking my Unattended CD, keeping NetBIOS with nLite. Now, other strange thing happens. When someone tries to access my PC through the network, Windows displays the searching flashlight and doesn`t do anything. May this happen because of a registry tweak that I apply ? Any ideas ?