LAN Problems

Installed my unattended installation of XP SP2 and I have this problem: I can see others on my LAN and I`m able to use network resources, but others cannot see me at all on the network, they can`t even ping me. Is there any setting that causes this ? I do have file and print sharing on, computer browser, server and workstation services running. Pleeeze help !

I have encountered this very same issue and still at till now. the pc is currently acting as a internet gateway (got 2 nics that's lan and net) file and print sharing is enabled and the internet sharing is working perfect in that others can access the web without any problem.. but the real issue is that other computers can't view any shared folders or printers on the gateway pc!

anyway around this

I've always found home networking to be a huge pain in the butt compared to corporate networking. First of all you need to NOT remove NetBIOS using nLite. Even though you can and should disable NetBIOS on all of your interfaces, there are parts of it that are still utilized in file sharing. Second, I have run into this a million times.. you must have a password associated with the username that you're using to connect with.

If you're unable to ping the other computer, and Windows Firewall isn't blocking ICMP traffic, then you have a problem more serious than sharing not working. Something like your network settings being off. Double check, triple check your network settings. Nobody is immune from tunnel vision or overlooking the obvious. I once spent three hours troubleshooting a network issue where I mistakenly entered a default gateway of 192.168.1.10 instead of 192.168.1.100.

You don't need to run the NetBIOS protocol, but I believe some of the files associated with it are needed to support file and printer sharing. Also some services are misleading in the titles. The "NetBIOS helper for TCP/IP" or whatever the real name of it is.. well I found out the hard way a few years back that you should not turn that one off - even if you don't use NetBIOS on your network.

Hm..I remove NetBIOS with nLite, and additionaly remove NetBIOS helper for TCP/IP service with a cleanup file in RunOnceEx. Do you suggest that not removing that service with the cleanup file may solve my network problem ?

Edited by xpmaniac4ever

OK. Reinstalled Windows. Tested again without removing NetBIOS over TCP/IP service. Now other PC`s on my network are able to ping me, and I am able to ping them, but still file sharing doesn`t work, only between me and those computers that use my unattended XP install. And NetBIOS is removed with nLite on both PC`s. Any idea ?

Edited by xpmaniac4ever

On home networks, CIFS is used. It does prettu much everything (File Sharing, Printer, ICS, etc), however, this protocol uses NetBIOS over TCP/IP, so dont remove it!

P.S: I know you will find allot of websites saying it only uses DNS.

Roguespear, I tried remaking my Unattended CD, keeping NetBIOS with nLite. Now, other strange thing happens. When someone tries to access my PC through the network, Windows displays the searching flashlight and doesn`t do anything. May this happen because of a registry tweak that I apply ? Any ideas ?

Here is my nlite session.ini file and the regfile that I apply at T-12.

Last_Session.ini

Tweak.reg

It's probably time to resort to Troubleshooting 101. Go back to square one. If you can get the networking to function as expected using untampered install sources, then add things in one by one until you can narrow down what it is that's causing the problem. I know it' a royal pain in the butt, but it's something I've had to do, and countless others here too I'm sure.

xpmaniac4ever,

you seem to making many network 'tweaks' in your reg file. Start with a basic untampered install and work from there.

Also check the windows firewall/internet connection sharing service is running, (you can turn the firewall off) that has caught me out in the past - I had the 'flashlight' problem you describe.

good luck

Edited by tbs

On home networks, CIFS is used. It does prettu much everything (File Sharing, Printer, ICS, etc), however, this protocol uses NetBIOS over TCP/IP, so dont remove it!

P.S: I know you will find allot of websites saying it only uses DNS.

I want to disable netbios, but when i do this i cant acces my shares anymore, but still ping the other pc's in the network.

Is there a way to acces my shares without enabling netbios? I'm using a router btw if that's relevant.