[Help] Blank DVD that contains data but appears blank in XP

KamiQuazi

I have a DVD the appears blank, but there is data on it. I found some stuff about it but nothing to explain how to correct the problem... Here is a site Microsoft has put on their support website about it

KB867717

but it says to install XP SP2... and which i have already done...

any suggestions to help would be greatly appreicated

Thanks,

LISC2k7

:thumbup

Please NOW in Microsoft Windows XP section, use [TAGS] in your topic's title.

See rules.

--Sonic

I've had this problem before - here's how I fixed it...

Tools you'll need:

• ISOBuster - You'll need to "find" a full version, as the trial version only allows you to extract 100MB at a time.
  • Daemon Tools or Alcohol

What you need to do is open ISOBuster with your disc in the drive. In the left panel, right click on the DVD Icon at the top of the list, and select Extract To <image>, then RAW (*.bin, *.iso), and create an ISO image on your hard drive. If it comes up with Unreadable Sector errors, just allow it to Omit Sector and continue on.

When that's done, mount the image with Daemon Tools/Alcohol and you should be able to read the ISO & re-burn it.

Good Luck

Edited by draxx

Both apps see the DVD as a blank.. but there is a movie on there... i can verify by Watching it.. but it sees it blank... help draxx

Wow...It's like looking into the past. o.o

I'm just curious...What kind of machine did you use to burn the movie and what format is this disc burned as?

Oooh, that's a bit different to problems I've had. I've been able to recover badly scratched & corrupted discs with this method.

Perhaps try the disc in another PC DVD-ROM and see what happens. Maybe your drive is failing...

Its not the dvd drive... it reads everything else but when someone burns a DVD using one program and like i said earlier i think it is DVDXCopy... but not for sure... the DVD isn't scratched and like i said earier i can watch it perfectly on my 5 disc DVD changer....

What about doing a raw sector extraction and attempting to open the resulting ISO?

but there is a movie on there... i can verify by Watching it.. but it sees it blank...
If a standalone DVD player can read the disc, there must be data on it. A raw sector extraction should work. Edited by LLXX

there is a common bug in the win xp

it is because the cd is multisession.

use cd roller or contact microsoft to give you a patch.

the patch is not in their page, from there "they" tell you to contact them in order to give you the patch.

hope i helped

Hey there,

I had a similiar problem when burning data onto DVD's recently. I was burning them as multi-sessions and not finalising or verifying them. When i put them back in the drive, they would come up as blank although I could plainly see the data image burnt into the disk + when i opened Nero with the disk still in the drive ... it could also see the data, just explorer couldn't.

So i ran Nero again with the same disk and finalised it without adding more data. After doing this and re-inserting it explorer now seems to see the data ....

Hopefully this'll work for u too.

All the best, andoc