[HowTo] Keep windows Xp Secure and Running Fast

WolfX2

Hi,

If we're talking securing Windows XP, I feel it's important to mention services. Certain services cause security holes. It's a good thing to disable certain services. This would not only increase security but would also help speed up the comp to a certain extent. Check out http://theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm#Services

Another sure-shot way of increasing speed and stability is to disable un-necessary startup programs. Use, MSCONFIG or REGISTRY.

@gdogg - Sorry i missed your post!

you missed sygate, the best free firewall out there ...
link?
also, what ever happend to nod32 AV? and kapersky (same company)

nod32 is the most award winning AV on the planet, and is alot cheaper than norton ... also, its fast, uses very little resources.

allready added! Edited by wolf74481

• 2 weeks later...

As for Norton, I'd rather try to remove a virus than that P.O.C.

I have a special package that I call the "Norton Killer". It removed all Norton product files from the HD and then strips out all the registry entries that Norton installs. There's several hundred of them.

Andromeda43

Is this package available anywhere--it could be a very useful tool. I have had to do this manually before, but it is a pain. If you are not able to share the package, would you be willing to give a rundown of how it works (just a basic outline would be fine).

hmmmm is been a while since anyone has read this ic
A post only gets bumped up to the top when someone writes something new. Don't unnecessarily bump your own post.
I assure you this was not my intention, but ur right it was a useless post, sry :blushing:

@TheFlash428:

This tool is made by Symantec, it's called SymNRT.

you can download here, and it expires about 1 ou 2 months I think, so you must redownload sometimes (or change date ...)

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_...sgen/SymNRT.exe

[added to guide] Edited by wolf74481

Don't connect it to the internet and dont let your kids play games on it ;) Cheers Gordo
good point, keep irresponsible people off the computer!

[added to guide]

Edited by wolf74481

few things

1. Autoruns from sysinternals(free) is better than msconfig. in addition to disabling startup programs, you can also disabled explorer extensions etc

ps: new version 8.5 http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/autoruns.html

2. Ewido is not only good at detecting spyware but also trojans key loggers etc http://www.ewido.net/en/

its free and has offline updates too

3. As far as antivirus is concerned. any antivirus is better than no anti virus. The chances of getting a virus even with crappy antivirus is way smaller. It is a must have especially when you connect to the network/internet. The latest av-comparitve test showed free ones are almost as good as the payed products. kav 2006 might be another one to watch out for.

4. firewall: someone here posted a guide here about winpooch. you just cant get lighter than that.

Edited by gmx

3. As far as antivirus is concerned. any antivirus is better than no anti virus. The chances of getting a virus even with crappy antivirus is way smaller. It is a must have especially when you connect to the network/internet. The latest av-comparitve test showed free ones are almost as good as the payed products. kav 2006 might be another one to watch out for.

i'd like to agree with that, i'm a bit fed up of people 'who know everything and aren't afraid to tell you they are the best' telling people that you may as well just not use an antivirus instead of using one 'i would never use' at the end of the day, some protection even if its not the best, is better than none!

and to those who insist they ahve used a computer for sixty thousand years and never had a virus, i guess thats because you are a super user and know everyfile in and out and how it works and commuicates with other files, as how can you know for sure you have no virus, if you have never run a virus scanner to enforce that fact? not all viruses are obvious they are there. Most people (ie normal peopel) just want there computer to email, use im and game on, they do'nt want to spend all there time checking files or logs for virus's, after all, at the end of the day they paid for a big paperwait to play solitare on, it should dam well play solitaire and if a virus comes on the computer it should dam well sort it out not to interupt solitiare!

oh and i love that autoruns program, thanks for that!

Finally, get the Kernal up off the HD and into ram where it can run hundreds of times faster.

That GREATLY improves system performance.

so how does this work? i've never heard of that, i've heard of the registry trick to keep kernal in ram isntead of letting it being swapped (i think i didn't imagine that :P) but i've never noticed great improvements, or any for that matter...