IE7 on 2003

WBHoenig

I am currently a FireFox user and am happy to be one. However, when Paul Thurrott said that IE7 Beta 2 was an excellent step forward and that it was now publicably avalible from the MSFT website, I decided to give it a shot. I am running Windows Server 2003 SP1 on my laptop (excellent performance... for some reason better than XP ever did) and it doesn't want to install. It will only go on XP SP2 systems. I tried looking through the extracted files for some 'setup.msi' file or something to put on XP compatibility mode (rarely works... but thought I'd give it a shot) and couldn't find one. Has anyone tried to do this, also? And possibly gotten it to work?

Run IE7-WindowsXP-x86-enu.exe and it will error

Browse to the temp directory at c:\ and copy the files to another location

Working within' the extracted directory, delete the following:

update

install.ins

spmsg.dll

spuninst.exe

spupdsvc.exe

Create a blank text file within' the directory and rename it to iexplore.exe.local.

Move the directory to a location in which you want to store the now standalone version of Internet Explorer 7 Beta 1 (eg. My Documents).

Execute iexplore.exe.

Extract files and open update.inf, change the value like below:

[Version]
CatalogFile = %SP_SHORT_TITLE%.cat
LanguageType = %LangTypeValue%
MaxNtBuildToUpdate = 9999
MaxNtMajorVersionToUpdate = 5
MaxNtMinorVersionToUpdate = 2
MaxNtServicePackVersion = 256
MinNtServicePackVersion = 0
NtBuildToUpdate = 3790
NtMajorVersionToUpdate = 2
NtMinorVersionToUpdate = 1
RebootRequired = 1
Signature = "$Windows NT$"

Save the file, run setup from update.exe, and when setup is running copy the original (unchanged) update.inf in the update folder. Copy the file at the moment setup start otherwise it will fail.

Pawan

nfh302.jpg

Edited by pawan

Thanks! I used the first suggestion; the second wouldn't work for me. I tried to type this message out using IE7, didn't work. Stopped letting me type in the middle of this post. I am back to Firefox. Besides, I didn't like the layout of IE7. This forum offers better support than all of Microsoft combined.