[Error] - My computer has a PROBLEM

tb582

I think you need to investigate why csrss.exe is running Quicktime. That would give it kernel access wouldn't it? Certainly not something a video player needs.

It's interesting that the movie plays fine from an external drive, and opens in Wordpad, but won't play where it is. QT and Wordpad might be doing things differently. Have you defragged lately?

The movie will not play in safe mode either, I can load up quick time but as soon as I do file open and select the movie the computer crashes -

As for defrag, I use diskeeper 10 server enterprise so that pretty much takes care of that.

I have two mini dump files that I tried to upload but it would not let me due to the file extension and even changing the extension to .jpg I got this error when try to add them The requested file upload failed because suitable permissions have not been enabled on the 'uploads' directory. Please contact the board administrator and inform them of this error.

Edited by tb582

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How many hard drives do you have?

What type of hard drives are they (IDE/SATA)?

Are they connected as Master or Slave?

How many devices per cable?

What brand / size / age are they?

How many partitions?

What is your motherboard?

How many hard drives do you have?

What type of hard drives are they (IDE/SATA)?

Are they connected as Master or Slave?

How many devices per cable?

What brand / size / age are they?

How many partitions?

What is your motherboard?

Three internal - two 74gb WD raptors in RAID 0 for OS and programs and one 120 GB maxtor IDE hdd, and one external 80GB WD hdd.

I'm running an Iwill DH-800 and dual Xeon 2.8ghz cpu with 3.0 GB of corsair memory - Video card is a 3dlabs Wildcat VP 880pro -

• 4 weeks later...
The movie will not play in safe mode either, I can load up quick time but as soon as I do file open and select the movie the computer crashes -

As for defrag, I use diskeeper 10 server enterprise so that pretty much takes care of that.

I have two mini dump files that I tried to upload but it would not let me due to the file extension and even changing the extension to .jpg I got this error when try to add them The requested file upload failed because suitable permissions have not been enabled on the 'uploads' directory. Please contact the board administrator and inform them of this error.

At this point, it's possible it's hardware (although I am not convinced, because it does work sometimes from some locations) - I'd say the only surefire way to figure this out is to reinstall the OS, install the latest drivers for your hardware, and install ONLY quicktime. At this point I'd be very interested to see what happens from the local disk, and the same file copied to an external disk as well.

• 2 weeks later...
Run a manufacturer's diagnostic on your 120GB Maxtor and let me know how it turns out.

Sorry it took me sooo long to get back to the board, I finally ran the Maxtor mfg diag. on the disk and it found no errors.

At this point, it's possible it's hardware (although I am not convinced, because it does work sometimes from some locations) - I'd say the only surefire way to figure this out is to reinstall the OS, install the latest drivers for your hardware, and install ONLY quicktime. At this point I'd be very interested to see what happens from the local disk, and the same file copied to an external disk as well.

I figured it would probably come to this, but I'm not ready to reformat just yet....Its perplexing that it only happens to the quicktime files on the C: drive, if I copy and paste them to any other drive they load/work/and play fine....perhaps I should run the WD diag on my C drive?

• 5 months later...

Alright I finally got around to reinstalling XP pro with the latest updates and lastest ver. of quicktime.... Same thing happens. here is the error report:

BCCode : f4 BCP1 : 00000003 BCP2 : 897FADA0 BCP3 : 897FAF14

BCP4 : 80604418 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 256_1

I know this isn't a direct solution to your problem, but QuickTime Alternative is free and plays all mov files flawlessly. It just installs the correct codecs and used Media Player Classic. It is much lighter and nimbler, and most likely would solve your problem.

In situations like yours, I'm most apt to reset to a known good image, or failing that, just doing a complete new install. It takes less time than trying to track down the culprit which may be an errant dll or some such. Think of all the time you've spent on disk scans, etc, to no avail. Well, yes, you've gained some experience doing that I've done that too, but there comes a time when you realize your time will be better spent doing a clean install.

There are so many intervening factors that have occurred since you first posted this a year and a half ago or so that it's not really worth the time to diagnose at this point.