[Help] Windows XP install Issue with SATA / NVATA Driver

mrtickle

Hi,

My HDD died and I have replaced with a diamondmax 10 250gb SATA II.

I've tried to set it up on A8N-SLI deluxe m/b on Nvidia SATA controller (not raid config), however when I install windows, it copies files across reboots and then hangs after post screen with os missing / cannot find etc,

If I install on old IDE driver it works fine. I've tred to ghost that across to new direve but that does not work.

The SATA drive work fine as additional devices. I have orig copy of windows XP sp2. All current drivers. I've tried using drivers on floppy at F6, ghosting old drive, formatting with maxblast 4, then installing.

It's driving me mad, any ideas greatly apprectiated,

Please NOW in Microsoft Windows XP section, use [TAGS] in your topic's title.

See rules.

--Sonic

Do you use an Unattended setup or/with WinNT.sif with drivers integrated ? if yes, you can't use F6, because paths are hardcoded into winnt.sif and windows ignore path indicate by floppy.

1) You must re-create your cd with integrated sata drivers.

or

2) You must use a cd without Winnt.sif/Unattended.txt informations.

Goodbye.

Well today is your lucky day!!!

Ok well not really.... This is a known issue according to our hardware supplier and they are working on a resolution. Reccomendation is to just use the IDE drivers till a fix is released. Depending on the nVidia chipset and the SATA drive in question the troubles vary. We have had one set of machines just turn off, but the newest just log errors and the programs crash when ever you do heavy paging, or intense read/write activities. I am not sure if/when nVidia will have an offical patch or resolution but I will let you know if our supplier comes up with anythin better then "use the IDE drivers"

Hi,

My HDD died and I have replaced with a diamondmax 10 250gb SATA II.

I've tried to set it up on A8N-SLI deluxe m/b on Nvidia SATA controller (not raid config), however when I install windows, it copies files across reboots and then hangs after post screen with os missing / cannot find etc,

If I install on old IDE driver it works fine. I've tred to ghost that across to new direve but that does not work.

The SATA drive work fine as additional devices. I have orig copy of windows XP sp2. All current drivers. I've tried using drivers on floppy at F6, ghosting old drive, formatting with maxblast 4, then installing.

It's driving me mad, any ideas greatly apprectiated,

Please NOW in Microsoft Windows XP section, use [TAGS] in your topic's title.

See rules.

--Sonic

After I posted this yesterday I did more research and found the following link.

Nvidia FAQ

This tells about how to fix it. In my case I can get into windows no trouble, but if you try to do anything with alot of pageing then the application will crash. On previous BIOS versions the machine would just shut off.

I will be running this fix in a bit to see if that helps/works. Let me know if you find anything else out.

Thats a good question I would say go with the IDE drivers when installing. And get everything to work right. Install the sata drivers, and hopefully that creates the registry locations so you can appoly the registry fix. But the keys might not get created till you reboot with the new drivers which you cannot do.

If they don't get created till you reboot, you can try to restart and if it fails try to restart in safemode, assumeing that works. Then add the registry keys then. They are simple enough to add by hand actually. One of the reasons I was willing to apply it to a production machine, the keys simply need to deleted to reverse the process.