Post Pictures and Specifications of your computer here!

ripken204

Yeah I am looking for a better price for that case. But I do like that case, it will work good for a File server. (once I get my job that is!) But I hope to have a few terabytes in it to last me a while.

Anyways, Yeah But I like it loud!!!! it helps me to sleep at night :) How about some 120mm 3200RPM fans XD Then that cooler master would FLY! hehe.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't post pictures, but I suppose I can post my specs. I've had this PC since early 2002, haven't had to reinstall Windows, and have had minimal hardware failure.

Chassis: Antec PS Performance SX1040 Black

Motherboard: Intel D850MV

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 1.7GHz

RAM: 2x 256MB Samsung PC800 RDRAM + 2 blanks

Audio: onboard disabled, Creative SoundBlaster Audigy Gamer PCI

Video: nVidia GeForce 3 Ti200 64MB AGP 2x

keyboard: Apple USB Pro Keyboard (G4 style)

mouse: Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 USB Optical

HDD1: Maxtor 20GB ATA-133 7200RPM

HDD2: Maxtor 160GB ATA-133 7200RPM

Optical1: Compaq 48x CD-ROM Black

speakers: Creative Inspire 5200 5.1

I think the total price came to just under $3,000 at the time. Everything was brand new, although some stuff I did get at cost through a contact at Ingram Micro. The MB was the newest by Intel at the time and the CPU was the fastest available. I built it to be totally top of the line. However, through the years it became not so top of the line, and I eventually hit limits on both hardware and my wallet. I did not list the monitor because I didn't remember which ones I've had. Here is a timeline of changes:

- Partitioned the second drive into two partitions. Installed Server .net 2003 Enterprise on it. It lasted a year because I never activated it and I had since removed it.

- added Sony 24x CD-RW EIDE drive. It failed after 2 days.

- monitor failed during a move, replaced with eMachines 17" flat CRT.

- added Lite-On DVD-RW/CD-RW dual layer +/-

- Mouse failed, replaced with same model from ebay

- Mouse failed, replaced with standard Microsoft Optical Mouse

- upgraded video card with Sapphire Radeon 8600XP AGP 4x 256MB to play Oblivion.

- upgraded CPU with Pentium 4 2.0GHz

- successfully ran Crysis Demo (cons: long load time, gameplay was smooth)

- researched prices on upgrading RAM ($900 to get 2GB)

- Lite-On DVD Drive failed (no replacement)

So that's where I'm at. Since paying that much for more RAM is out of the question, I've already started looking at making a new PC. I figure using a PC for 6-7 years without a format or a reinstall is pretty good, so I am going to rebuild using similar brand products.

I must say, though, I did buy a replacement DVD-RW drive, but I never installed it. It's sitting on my new chassis I bought for my next PC, still sealed in its static bag.

I also have a Windows 98 computer also, but it has a bad motherboard (or PSU) in it. I bought another used computer to get the parts out of it to fix it, so it might need to be reinstalled. I had used it to be a Dedicated server for Quake 3 and Shoutcast a few years ago, but has been closet fodder for quite awhile. Here are its specs as I can remember them:

Chassis: Some garbage beige mid-tower

Motherboard: I think it has a Gigabyte in there... It's on its 3rd motherboard

CPU: Intel Pentium III 1.0GHZ (on flip-chip) Slot1, with 533BMHz Slot1 for backup.

RAM: 768MB RAM

Audio: I'm having difficulty remembering, but I think a Guillemont 128 voice PCI, or it could be SBLive! 128...

Video: 3dfx Voodoo 5500 AGP 64MB <-- the reason why I won't let this system die!

keyboard: A PS2 keyboard that says "Propeller Pilot" on it.

mouse: some $10 USB mouse with a ball in it (remember them?)

HDD1: Maxtor 20GB ATA-100 7200RPM

HDD2: There actually was another 20GB drive, but I took it out and put it in my XP machine.

Optical1: It has 3 CD drives, two are broken and not even hooked up. It has an 8x Iomega CD-RW (Terminator model) that does kinda word.

speakers: 1200w 4 speaker + subwoofer system that is currently hooked up to my TV

Welp, gotta run back into my time machine! See you guys next week!

:thumbup

• 2 weeks later...

I don't game, which will explain the video card choice. However, I do write/compile a decent amount of code, play some videos, etc. with my main non-work PC at home, so I finally built a new rig to replace this old AMD Athlon 3700 from 2004:

CoolerMaster Cosmos 1000 Case

Enermax MODU82+ 625W PSU

Asus P5Q Deluxe motherboard

Intel Q9550 CPU

G.Skill 4GBx2 DDR2 800 (6-6-6-18)

HIS Radeon 3650 512MB GDDR3

WD 3200AAKSx2 320GB HDD (RAID1)

experience_index.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My desktop to be replaced soon or I might get an 18inch laptop.

CPU Pentium D 3.0GHz duel core

Ram 2 X 512 MB 800Mhz ram

HDD 1 x 80GB 1 x 320GB

intergraded graphics and sound but I was going to buy a graphic card but I am buying a new computer and I will give my old computer to my mate to use as file server. The case has 6 HDD slots.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

ya it was a big pain, at least my case had wheels on it.

i take some pics of my "new" computer, i'll wait till i get back to college, my friend has the new Canon EOS 5D Mark II, i can't imagine the hardware pron that that can take :)

it is also amazing to see how far we have come in such a short period of time.

The thing is, it's not a short period of time. 7 years is just about forever when it comes down to technology.

Similarly, in 7 years, we moved from the P1 (1993) to the P4 (2000). In 1994, we were still using Win 3.11, and in 2001 we had moved to XP. In 2001, a 40GB HD was $250, now you can get 1.5TB drives for $150 (62.5x more GB per $). 7 years ago, we had very basic cell phones that only made calls, now we have iPhones, blackberrys and smartphones with cameras/java/mp3 player/SMS/email and what not. We had CRT 480i TVs, now 1080p LCDs are getting cheap (~7 years before that, and I remember even seeing some B&W TVs left). 7 years ago, we had very basic DSLRs for a LOT of $, now you can get fairly decent kits for $500. Flash memory was almost unheard of (by most people) back in 2001, and it's come down in price a ridiculous amount since then (I remember shopping for 1GB CF cards back when they were $600 not even that long ago, and I got a 2GB SD card for like $6 a couple years ago). Etc.

And it'll stay that way. The brand new Core i7's will look slow in 7 years from now. The yet unreleased Windows 7 will likely be 2 or 3 versions out of date. Everything hardware/software/consumer electronics will have changed a LOT again.

7 years is a very short time and i am talking about technology. you need to compare technology to everything else in the world.

nothing evolves as fast as technology does and it is because of modern technology that we are able to make other things evolve fast.

take cars for example, they have been around for 100 years, they became safer and faster and more efficient but not too much changes.

Then we added in modern technology (aka the microprocessor) and now look where we are with cars.