Post Pictures and Specifications of your computer here!

ripken204

Watch out that your big hamster doesn´t get sucked in by the fans (I have two of those pigs :lol:).

lol, I've got two of them as well the one in the picture is called Eddy. He enjoys gaming, and modding his PC (Pig Computer).

Edited by puntoMX

• 1 month later...

^^ Alright, thanks for that.

Well, here is my newest video for my Intel machine I recently built:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=KOkkuHtw5JM

Specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500/ 3.16GHz/ 6MB Cache

4GB 800Mhz DDR2 RAM

1x SATA Western Digital 500 GB, 1x Seagate 200 GB hard drive

4870x2 2GB Sapphire ATI Radeon video card :thumbup:w00t:

22" Acer monitor at 1680x1050

Antec TruePower Quattro 1000W ATX Power Supply

1x 20 LG DVD Burner

1x LG SATA BluRay & HDDVD Combo Drive

Running Windows XP Professional SP2 and Server 2003 SP2

Gigabyte GA-EP45-DQ6 motherboard

Thermaltake M9D Case

And my other AMD machine:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=-BwYMNKNyV4

Specs:

AMD Athlon 6000+ X2 at 3.00 Ghz dual core

4GB 667Mhz DDR2 RAM

Gigabyte GA-M750SLI-DS4 NForce 750a SLI motherboard

Gigabyte 8800 GTS GeForce 640 MB video card

20x SATA LG DVD Writer

80 GB Western Digital SATA hard drive

460 watt power supply

Windows XP Professional x64 SP2

Coolermaster Case 330 Elite

Edited by Thunderbolt 2864

Nice rig, just do some cable management, kick out the beige floppy drive and ask some one else to close the case while you hold your camera ;).

Just go to the hardware shop and buy yourself a pack of tie-wraps; cheap and useful.

I like the you-tube presentations.

My file server has gone through it's share of upgrades and revisions over the years. It started out as a lowly Athlon XP 2000+ system with two WD5000AAKS drives and has grown into the behemoth that it is now.

Last summer, I wanted to make myself a reliable storage server (which could also serve other purposes later) that had room to expand as I needed it to. The parts list as it stands now:

Case: Coolermaster CMStacker 810

PSU: Corsair HX620

Motherboard: ASUS P5K Premium Wifi

CPU: Intel E2160 (soon to be upgraded)

RAM: 4x2GB OCZ Gold DDR2-800 5-5-5-18

Optical Drive: Pioneer DVR-212D

Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce 7200GS

RAID Card: 3ware 9650SE-8LPML

System drives: 2x WD5000AACS

Storage drives 8x WD10EACS

Fans: 3x Scythe Slipstream 800RPM

Heatsink: ThermalRight Ultra 120 Extreme

I had originally setup the hard drives in CoolerMaster's 4-in-3 modules, and everything was bolted together. It was fairly quiet, but there was a distinct hum coming from the computer (more noticable from some directions than others).

A local fabric/sewing store had rolls of 25m of corded elastic on sale for $3, so I jumped on that and got myself two. The stacker case makes suspending hard drives dead simple, since there are convenient holes in the case meant for screwing 5.25" drives in place.

And as is always necessary, the pictures. :)

The insides of the computer - not the cleanest build, but it works. I guess I could spend a little more time taping cables to the back panel if I wanted to... but I'm a little lazy.

CoruscantSuspended2_thumb.jpg

The ugly side of things...

CoruscantSuspended4_thumb.jpg

A closeup of the suspension.

CoruscantSuspended3_thumb.jpg

The glory!!!

CoruscantSuspended1_thumb.jpg

The difference in noise is like night and day. 8)

I've closed off the top vent of the case as well to prevent the airflow short-circuit that would otherwise happen. The drives themselves run at about 33-35C at idle, 35-38C when working. Not too shabby if you ask me... :)

I know mark is gonna love this one... :P

:P

I know that in an earlier post that you had mentioned you were going to use elastic 'like you have in your underwear' (or something so stated). What do you do to your underwear that requires you to have elastic like that? Never mind. I don't want to know.

:P

:) Mark

P.S. That is pretty cool by the way. How you suspended your HDD's that is. It looks cool too with the front view. It would be nice to have a smoke colored plexi cover for it but that would spoil the airflow.

I doubt you will ever know but it would be interesting to know if what you have done effects the longevity of your HDD's by having the elastic absorb vibrations coming in from the case or any other benefits or detriments. Not having housing to case contact doesn't seem to have harmed the heat dissipation much if at all.

Edited by mark

I doubt you will ever know but it would be interesting to know if what you have done effects the longevity of your HDD's by having the elastic absorb vibrations coming in from the case or any other benefits or detriments. Not having housing to case contact doesn't seem to have harmed the heat dissipation much if at all.

If anything, I'd imagine that it would increase the longetivity of the drives, and reduce the overall IO error rate caused by vibrations from neighbouring drives. I know of several manufacturers that have implemented features to counteract errors caused by external sources of vibrations, but nothing really beats isolating one from the other.

Heat dissipation really isn't a concern with these drives. At idle, they draw less than 4W a piece, and that only goes up to 8W when they're working... compared to 8-11W of other drives on the market (*cough*Seagate*cough*).

The creepiest part of it all is that when I get home, I've always been used to that hum that the system used to produce. I've caught myself checking the lights to see if the system is actually on!

• 2 weeks later...
My file server has gone through it's share of upgrades and revisions over the years. It started out as a lowly Athlon XP 2000+ system with two WD5000AAKS drives and has grown into the behemoth that it is now.

Last summer, I wanted to make myself a reliable storage server (which could also serve other purposes later) that had room to expand as I needed it to. The parts list as it stands now:

Case: Coolermaster CMStacker 810

PSU: Corsair HX620

Motherboard: ASUS P5K Premium Wifi

CPU: Intel E2160 (soon to be upgraded)

RAM: 4x2GB OCZ Gold DDR2-800 5-5-5-18

Optical Drive: Pioneer DVR-212D

Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce 7200GS

RAID Card: 3ware 9650SE-8LPML

System drives: 2x WD5000AACS

Storage drives 8x WD10EACS

Fans: 3x Scythe Slipstream 800RPM

Heatsink: ThermalRight Ultra 120 Extreme

I had originally setup the hard drives in CoolerMaster's 4-in-3 modules, and everything was bolted together. It was fairly quiet, but there was a distinct hum coming from the computer (more noticable from some directions than others).

A local fabric/sewing store had rolls of 25m of corded elastic on sale for $3, so I jumped on that and got myself two. The stacker case makes suspending hard drives dead simple, since there are convenient holes in the case meant for screwing 5.25" drives in place.

And as is always necessary, the pictures. :)

The insides of the computer - not the cleanest build, but it works. I guess I could spend a little more time taping cables to the back panel if I wanted to... but I'm a little lazy.

CoruscantSuspended2_thumb.jpg

The ugly side of things...

CoruscantSuspended4_thumb.jpg

A closeup of the suspension.

CoruscantSuspended3_thumb.jpg

The glory!!!

CoruscantSuspended1_thumb.jpg

The difference in noise is like night and day. 8)

I've closed off the top vent of the case as well to prevent the airflow short-circuit that would otherwise happen. The drives themselves run at about 33-35C at idle, 35-38C when working. Not too shabby if you ask me... :)

*Zxian*, Amazing machine! (lol, Feels like I am talking to my self, since my name is same as yours in real life)

How do you like that case? I am thinking to use it for my new server build, what do you think?

Talk to you later *Zxian*.

How do you like that case? I am thinking to use it for my new server build, what do you think?

I love it myself. But it's getting hard to find one in Canada. ncix doesn't carry it anymore seemingly. I might have to go with something else next time :(

I hadn't looked there. But it's VERY expensive for that case. I paid about that much for one about a year ago, including the two extra 4-in-3 drive bays, taxes, and shipping too. It's $140 at newegg. I can't say I'm a big fan of TigerDirect either. NCIX has plenty of great cases within $280 too.

enough fans to make it loud! :)

The fans on it are very quiet actually. I can't hear them at all. Big 120mm fans don't need to spin like crazy to have good airflow, so they're usually pretty quiet.

My server is now considerably quieter than my workstation. I'm only using three fans in that case - all of them are 800RPM Scythe Slipstream fans. Two for the exhaust, and one on the ThermalRight Ultra 120 Extreme. The build of the case is top notch, and I really can't fault anything about it. It's designed to have a ridiculous amount of room for equipment, and it does that beautifully.

$280 is FAR overpriced for that. Just make sure that when you buy it, you get the Stacker 810, and not the STC-T01 model. The latter has space for two PSUs (completely rediculous) and removes one of the 120mm fans.