problem Installing windows 2000 on 300 gig HDD

DuFuSS

I'm trying to install windows 2000 0n a 200 gig HDD and its got a problem with the large drive, I have partitioned a small partition to install it into but it seems to not be able to see the drives partitions properly.

Is there anyway around this?

Thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated

Does your Windows 2000 installation CD contain SP4 slipstreamed in? If not, you will have issues seeing all 200GB (even formatted NTFS).

yes, it has sp4 integrated into it, it shows when installing that the drive partitions are unformatted or damaged,.

I rebuilt my windows 2000 cd with sp4 reintegrated just to make sure everything is where it should be, tried a reinstall with the new cd and get same crap.

Edited by DuFuSS

• 2 weeks later...

Even with sp4 you still need a registry update.

The following conditions are necessary for the correct functioning of 48-bit LBA ATAPI support:

• A computer with a 48-bit LBA-compatible Basic Input/Output System (BIOS) installed.

• A computer with a hard disk that has a capacity of greater than 137 gigabytes (GB).

• You must enable the support in the Windows registry by adding or changing the EnableBigLba registry value to 1 in the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Parameters

To enable 48-bit LBA large-disk support in the registry:

1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).

2. Locate and then click the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Atapi\Parameters

3. On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following registry value:

Value name: EnableBigLba

Data type: REG_DWORD

Value data: 0x1

4. Quit Registry Editor.

or better yet... download nlite and add the tweak directly to your installation infs ...

and may i at the same time reccomand the SP5 updates - from Gurglemeyers (only if on a US/UK english version) or HFSLIP on other versions and MUI installes will save you a lot of updating later (on every install)