Device Driver Oddities during Install

Okay, so just updated my SP2 XP unattend installation, and this time I thought I'd try out nlite - great tool, makes this sooo much simpler - why didnt MS have something like this originally!

Anyhoo, my problem is two fold, and i'm not really sure where to start troubleshooting.

First things first, I added all the device specific drivers into the build thru nlite, however, during the GUI mode setup phase, when we are doing the device driver detection, i get the "Found new hardware" wizard pop up! The wizard has just detected the new display device, in this case, i'm testing on a Dell Inspiron 6000, so its the laptop screen. I haven't specificall included the device drivers for this, as it is a generic device and inbox drivers are fine. If I allow it to go through the autosetup / detect, it detects the plug and play monitor drivers and installs just fine. Obviously, this is not good for an unattended setup scenario. Why is this?

Any suggestions?

My second problem is a bit more tricky - during the first login post app install, I get an error message saying that one of my devices cannot be installed: see the attached screen shot. The specific error message is

"Cannot install this hardware"

"There was a problem installing this hardware:

SigmaTel C-Major Audio

An Error occured during the installation of this device

A device attached to the system is not functioning.

Click Finish to Close the Wizard.

Subsequently, reviewing the device in control panel, it is marked with a yellow exclamation mark, and the error

The Device is not configured correctly.

To reinstall the drivers for this device correctly, click reinstall driver"

If you do click 'reinstall driver' this wizard completes with the same error.

If i install the driver manually, it installs just fine!

In setupapi.log, i get the following error multiple times :

#-166 Device install function: DIF_INSTALLDEVICE.

#E151 Coinstaller 1 of 1 failed. Error 31: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

#I060 Set selected driver.

#E151 Coinstaller 1 of 1 failed. Error 31: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

Nothing in the event log.

Any Idea's?

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

573310 - I'm having a similar problem I think.

During the GUI part of my unattended install I get the Found New Hardware wizard at T-35. It sits there for about 3 minutes then goes away and continues the install.

Everything's fine once the setup completes and I log in...no problems. It's good that it continues the install but it looks sloppy popping up on the screen.

Can anyone offer any suggestions? This is making me crazy. :wacko:

I'm no expert so I might be wrong but..

If you put:

DriverSigningPolicy = Ignore

NonDriverSigningPolicy = Ignore

in your Winnt.sif it might solve your problems with devices that won't install properly..

My Moniter installs fine if you click Automaticly search for drivers. So it's not the Driver Signing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...