[Question] Do a fake reboot

nuja

hi,

I would like to know if someone know exactly what a reboot does on the OS and if there is a way to do the same thing without rebooting ?

Thank in advance.

++

Please NOW in Microsoft Windows XP section, use [TAGS] in your topic's title.

See rules.

--Sonic

hi,

I would like to know if someone know exactly what a reboot does on the OS and if there is a way to do the same thing without rebooting ?

Thank in advance.

++

Yes there is a way to reboot with out rebooting. It is called "Shutdown". After the computer turns off you press the power button and your computer boots back up! ;)

Honestly I don't think you can accomplish what you want... Or it may be difficult. Sometimes you can get away with just logging out and logging back in. But a lot of times if it asks you to reboot it is because the system is using files that need to be replaced. When you reboot there are things in the registry that tells windows to replace those files as the computer boots up and before windows begins using the files again.

shutting down explorer is hardly a reboot. you have atleast 12 other processes that would need to be shut down and restarted and a few, then when stopped, will force a reboot of the computer anyways. XP and 2000 is different from the 9x operating systems and does not allow for a "Soft Reboot"

yeah if you shutdown any of the svchost process' for example it would cause a reboot to initiate.

i like your thinking on this cause it wud be nice to do a 'soft' reboot but i dont think its possible :/

Edited by eyeball

In an NT-based OS, a reboot shuts down all winlogon processes, explorer, all svchost and other service processes, then the Service Control Manager (SCM). It unloads all process DLL's, then initiates a system shutdown of drivers and the kernel.

You will find that doing a "soft reboot" on an NT OS is impossible. If you simply need to reload shell .dll's, killing and restarting explorer is usually enough, but a complete "soft" reboot is impossible.

hi, if you are able to shutdown and restart the pc all 12 process can restart all of them at once with windows explorer ending that way. you can have every process restart without exiting windows.

May be there is away like the wine on linux dose the same thing restarting every but not exiting anything els.

there are switchs to do this you know we have the power ;)

may someone knows the correct switchs to restart all services, windows explorer :)

Edited by kurt476

• 2 weeks later...

I think what hes getting at is more on the lines of tricking a program into thinking a reboot has taken place, just like what brought me here, I installed the latest daemon tools distro and im kinda mad. im in the middle of working on a project. my buddy sends me his C++ code, and i relaize i do not have Borland C++ Builder 6 installed, so i break out my DVD's with archived CD Images on them, and when i go to run Daemon tools, its not even there, I should of been paying more attention to the installer which instead of actually updating to the newest version (the option i chose), it uninstalled the existing version and now wont continue setup till i reboot. In the past daemon tools said u needed to reboot after install, but i just find the RUN entry in regedit, launch the command and daemon tools works fine, along with its Virtual drives. Now i am pretty sure this stupid thing will want a reboot out of me after i install. "Update(Uninstall)", reboot, Install, reboot. waist of my time if u ask me.

Sorry about my rant but it really p***es me off when companies design software that claims it needs a reboot after install, when it truly does not. Given, it DOES emulate a hardware device, and you'd think something like that would need a reboot but in this case it did not.

The Questions are:

When a setup program requests that the system be rebooted before it can continue, what exactly takes place? what gets changed? HOW does it know that i didnt, HOW does it know when i have? Unless this event

is at the kernel level loaded into memory, something like "WinRebootRequired", that wont go away until the memory is flushed, And if thats it, so be it, but i dont think it is and i dont think anyone here should dismiss this topic until it really is investigated. Because I, like so many others, would like to know.

Thank you for your time and your help, and again, my apologies on the rant.

-Cypris

This is, because Daemon Tools installs a driver for the "fake" drives. So, in other words, Windows will not load/unload the drivers until you restart. They are in use. So, no Plug and Pray.

You'll have to do a restart, there's no other way. Except, if you want to recode Windows' driver handling mechanisms. I would advise against it.

• 2 weeks later...
This is, because Daemon Tools installs a driver for the "fake" drives. So, in other words, Windows will not load/unload the drivers until you restart. They are in use. So, no Plug and Pray.

You'll have to do a restart, there's no other way. Except, if you want to recode Windows' driver handling mechanisms. I would advise against it.

I thoguht 2000 and xp could unload/load drivers on the fly? at least certain types, such as usb, but i'm sure with the ati drivers it installs the driver and does'nt need a reboot, but it does ask, also, when windows firsts runs after putting in a video card i've noticed you do'nt need to reboot, it starts in vga mode, then unloads driver, loads new driver and then you can use all your magical features of your card! ... also cfosspeed loads in a new tcp driver which also doesn't need a reboot.

also, i do'nt see why emulating a hardware device would need a reboot, daemon tools can add more drives during the running of windows, only when you first install it asks for a reboot, surely each driver requires the driver to be restarted?

i'm not trying to start an argument, I just always thought drivers could be stopped and started? Only certain ones needed the computer to be restarted, (such as the chipset drivers?)

also, i've found this tool which is able to start stop nt drivers, (used to develop drivers, but it still is able to start/stop, which makes me think it can be done!) http://www.beyondlogic.org/dddtools/dddtools.htm

one last thing, i'm sure windows xp shows you a screen when you install it bragging about how it requres less reboots, also i've noticed lots of programs say you need to restart windows when you install them although you clearly do not, i find that annoying, i remember icq used to tell you to restart, I could never understand why it said that?