kind and compassionate? help a n00b!

heres the story~

i got to digg.com and see this awesome article for an "unattended windows xp install"

"SWEET" i proclaim!

i make a working XP unattended installation cd. awesome

i come get to drivers and applications and... i start to get owned

all these switches confused a noobie like me

i spent hours tried creating a batch files and run once ex cmds but found a lot of trouble with programs that no one else had and customizing...etc. etc.

but being persistent like i am, i found InstallRite and thought id be set since i just had to

install programs,

create new EXEs,

and then could reinstall on another computer by just clicking on the EXE...

but the problem lies in the fact that directories are SET. everything and anything you do is exactly the same as what you did the first time..

meaning..

when i tested the install on a different computer, a whole new user was created (even on a different partition since that first computer installed winxp on the D:/ instead of C:/ after i formatted it)

(i also tried extracting the InstallRite EXEs to edit file directories possibly, but it says "The archive is either in unknown format or damaged")

id really really really like to be able to install my apps silently and on more than one computer.

so my question is, whats the easiest way to accomplish my goal?

the scripting and swatches are very confusing to me because they are very individualized for each program and i cant find or figure out what swatches to use for a handful of my apps (or how to customize them)

if someone could give me some direction into how i should spend my time - either learning swatches (hopefully with some help) or looking for a new program similar InstallRite - id really appreciate it

-Trevor

switches really are the best way to silently install applications. alternatively you could use scripts or repack the app into an sfx archive but this requires even more work.

i would suggest that you check out the unattended guide for silent switches for the most commonly used apps, and if you cant find what youre looking for, you can still search the forums, or post a new topic.

sometimes you can also find information about silent installation of an app, on the programs homepage.

for application switches, you could try uawiki.org

if the apps you're using are quite popular, you'll probably find it over there.

there's also a few apps spread all over this forum which will help you create runonceex.cmd files (as in you enter the filename, directory and the appropiate switch in 3 separate boxes). as long as you bother looking at the created file, you'll get the picture.

try a search, coz i'm too lazy.

RVMIntegrator

Addon Packs

Update Pack Addons forum

Here's some links on the rvm site that will help you even more. Sorry I didn't have time earlier to point you into the right direction.

But basically you download the RVMIntegrator then you just point to your disk, point to the destination on your hard drive. Then select all of the addons you wish to slipstream. You can select multiple addons by holding ctrl.