Help! Win2k reboots continuosly

Took down my desktop few days ago. Moved to another room since installing new home network (cat 5). No changes to desktop PC except new old mouse (however now replaced with previous one).

Now PC behaves different compared to before move. After haging booted, it stays in Windows for approx 4-5 minutes then reboots whether I want/like it or not. Goes on like that indefinitely, and even if I am on PC "working" the keyboard. Strange thing is I did not do anything new to the hardware and it reboots even if I have disconnected the RJ45 from the home-lan.

Reformatted c:\ and reinstalled a previous image that worked fine in March. Problem persists.

Pls Help. Any ideas?

Stefan Lundstrom

mmm, interesting problem indeed, especially since it persists on the previous working image

how about virus scan? did you try that, you computer might be infected with some kind of virus, and im not sure that restoring image would help in that case.

well, anyway, try that.

another question just came in mind: you dont have a UPS connected by any chance?

Sudden reboots can also be the result of the CPU running to hot. Some motherboards have a safety protocol that close the PC when the CPU is above xx degrees.

Since you haven't changed any fans or overclocked anything it could be that mayby one (or more) of your fans are dead.

good one crispy, i actually had that problem once myself, how could i forget

yes, you should deffinetly check that out

edit:

and since you said you moved you pc, it might be a good idea to take a look inside to check if everything is in place