IE 7 Vs Firefox, who wins now?

WolfX2

this has always been a tough question on browser wars, as far as the news has stated they say and expect firefox to take over,, but you never know,, even tho i use firefox, i still say theres a few things it can be worked on to improve but yet i can point out that in ie and netscape and opera as well, so i guess only the future holds the answers :)

I do use opera @ home, but can't use it @ work since it doesn't work well with proxy... :}
Update the version.

Opera since v8 has been working well with single & multiple proxies.

MSIE blew it up a long time ago, no love from me anymore. Dump ActiveX, and I'll consider it.
Is that all that worries you?

You're aware you can configure it to disable ActiveX I hope? :P

Best part being, you can use a 1 KB *.REG file to apply activex disabling to hundreds of machines within minutes, or you can configure the same thru group policy for entire domain.

@ Gouki

Perhaps you wouldn't. Thankfully you don't want to - since you can't ;)

And when/if screen estate is low, all those toolbars, including the pageBars can be easily turned off.

In Firefox if you had 10-20 or more tabs open it would take up an excessive amount of space from the vertical view (Top) - and Webpages require much more vertical than horizontal space in most cases.

With Opera setup with Pagebars on the left(or right) & maximized it can have up to 38 pages open before the page bars take up 2 vertical lines.

If it wasnt for firefox I dont think the development of IE 7 wouldve been as progressive as it was, it could be argued that MS had those intentions anyway but when you look at the features added it does look suspiciously like a reaction to firefox. Also firefox is my personal favourite, the customizations and plugins are indispensible to me (gotta love that BlackJapan theme aswell hehe).

Thats not to say I dont appreciate IE (6 or 7) at all, if one day I swapped IE for FF on all our networks clients my boss would most probably fire me - IE and ActiveX is a staple requirement in the corp environment even if its not in use all the time. Also its integration to windows makes it far more secure than FF - "how?!" i hear you cry - simple.

Patches to IE get synchronised to our WSUS server which in conjunction with the automatic updates GPO means the IE on each client gets patched at 3am the morning after the patch for any vulnerability is released. Im not going to go around every workstation in the place installing FF updates, nor would I leave it down to the users.

Is that all that worries you?

You're aware you can configure it to disable ActiveX I hope? :P

Best part being, you can use a 1 KB *.REG file to apply activex disabling to hundreds of machines within minutes, or you can configure the same thru group policy for entire domain.

Not for me (I can use MSIE without getting adware or viruses, the "small" things made me switch, like the wrong-URL-freeze, no-:hover-support and no-transparent-PNG) but for people I help. I should be able to recommend them something that doesn't need me to configurate it (I'm still looking for a descent antivirus too :P).