Progress Bars for Installs via kTools and WPI

Guys i did test WPi.Ktool in T-12 time and i get this error

is72479.jpg

Guide

i put WPi.Ktool in svcpack folder in i386 directory and in svcpacki file i write

[Version]

BuildNumber=2600

MinorVersion=1

MajorVersion=5

Signature="$Windows NT$"

[setupData]

CatalogSubDir="\i386\SVCPACK"

[CatalogHeader]

[setupHotfixesToRun]

T12.exe

[ProductCatalogsToInstall]

KB892559.CAT

KB888111.CAT

KB903235.cat

KB900930.cat

KB898461.cat

T-12.exe this is wpi.exe i change name by couse i have second WPI in other directory ,next i write some programs in config.js

dflt[pn]=['yes']

and time i did 2 seconds

Next i did .iso image and testing in VM5.5 and i get this error in T-12 time in RunOnceEx WPI.Ktool work good

Yurek3,

Investigating, not sure if the current user is developed at that stage of Windows install, program currently writes the ktool.ini file to the current user TEMP folder and I'm not sure that path exists at that time in the install. If you would like, try using the modified generate.js below or manually updating yours to add a different path. It's currently set for system32 folder, just uncomment if you want to try Windows folder, both are included.

//*See if ktool.ini exists, then delete
kTool_ini = [b]WshEnv("TEMP") [/b] + "\\kTool.ini"; //Placed in Temp drive now for access during cd/dvd session
if (fso.FileExists(kTool_ini))
fso.DeleteFile(kTool_ini, true);

to:

kTool_ini = WshEnv("WinDir") + "\\kTool.ini";

or

kTool_ini = WshEnv("WINDIR") + "\\system32\\kTool.ini";

Let me know how it works, we may have to change this in the master I give to Kel if it fixes your bug.

generate.js

Thank you lawrenca you did very nice job.

I try your script this work now very good

See picture

is72588.jpg

I can not bilive we did this

This is miracle.

Kel we do not neeided SVCPACK we only needed WPI.

Thenks

for all KEL and lawrenca

Yurek3

Edited by Yurek3

id say after my first test not all apps install perfectly meaning one extension in particular is running updates to psp x

the extension is

1001_EN.MSP /qb

this is run off a cd even tried to use msiexec /i infront of its addy but im afraid that only worked for msi files

im not sure yet how it handles the ability to install from inf but ill test that soon also

Edited by Lost Soul

My msi installs seem to be working O.K. so far with the "msiexec /i" used but will take another look.

The items I added in the generate.js file to write kTool.ini is only one specific command..."RunWait" which seemed to translate into most of the commands used to install applications.

There are other commands available to kTool, like:

1. RunWait="command"

2. Run="command"

3. MSI="command"

4. DOS="command"

5. REG="command"

6. WaitProcess= "process_name"

7. WinWaitClose = window_title

8. Reboot

Plus a few others.

It would take a small learning curve to add these commands in front of the cmd entries and modify generate.js again to replace the lines "RunWait" with just the command, or...will look into building Case Select Logic into generate.js so transparent to user...will take a while.

Edited by lawrenca

I am looking into the possibilty of adding a percent complete number onto the end of the progress bar.

It is slow going at the moment anyone have any suggestions on where in the code I should begin with this?

As always thank you in advance for any or your help and guidance.

I am looking into the possibilty of adding a percent complete number onto the end of the progress bar.

It is slow going at the moment anyone have any suggestions on where in the code I should begin with this?

As always thank you in advance for any or your help and guidance.

i dont have any ideals on where you could start but i like the percent ideal

faaip565,

Currently, you would have to re-write a kTool replacement that would add a percentage into the form, math already being done for the progress bar, you would just have to display that in a label.

Kenedy adds the code for his project in the kTool section of msfn forum...definately a good starting point.

Edited by lawrenca

Just a quick note to anyone who is interested. If you grab the config folder from the downloade ktool script and put in your tools folder. You can modify the config.ini file so that the:

ProgressType =

entry value is one you will get a progress bar with a percentage on it, however it only shows a single application during install.

I am trying to modify the runonceex version of the install so that it has a percentage on it as well i wil keep you posted.

Just incase you all wanted options!

Just a quick note to anyone who is interested. If you grab the config folder from the downloade ktool script and put in your tools folder. You can modify the config.ini file so that the:

ProgressType =

entry value is one you will get a progress bar with a percentage on it, however it only shows a single application during install.

I am trying to modify the runonceex version of the install so that it has a percentage on it as well i wil keep you posted.

Just incase you all wanted options!

sounds like good progress definatly a step closer to your goal :)

Yep! Works!

Another question: how can I give ktool directly a command from wpi.cmd to execute an application.

for runonceex it works like this:

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "End" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\1 /VE /D "Cleanup" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\1 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\WPI\Common\cleanup.exe" /f

How to do the same with ktool?

EDIT

Solved it by myself. Found a ktool thread at msfn: Ktool

But found some serious new problem. you can read about in wpi4.4 testers thread: 4.4rc1 test

Edited by wixfigura