How to determine the version of WinPE?

Moose

We use WinPE to do data migrations at my company but we have recently had some VB.NET code developed for Win XP that I would like to run in WinPE. I know PE doesn't support the .NET framework but I have found a plug-in to enable it but the plug-in requires WinPE 2004 or later.

My question is how do I determine what version of WinPE I am running? I have been using this version since march of 2004. Any help is appreciated.

We use WinPE to do data migrations at my company but we have recently had some VB.NET code developed for Win XP that I would like to run in WinPE. I know PE doesn't support the .NET framework but I have found a plug-in to enable it but the plug-in requires WinPE 2004 or later.

My question is how do I determine what version of WinPE I am running? I have been using this version since march of 2004. Any help is appreciated.

You're using the official 2004 model. 2005 model is based on Windows Server 2003+SP1. I'm going to get things the way I want and shift it straight into Vista. I shouldn't have to worry about outdated crap. =/

• 4 months later...

If I have an existing copy of WinPE (no docs with it) How can I check what version it is? What file can I look inside or what file versions can I look at that will help me determine if it is 2004 / 05 or WinPE 1.5 / 1.6 etc..? Thanks guys!

• 1 month later...

Moose,

I will take a stab at answering this question. This is how I determined what version of Windows PE I have. Even though the disk I have that came from Microsoft does not say anything other than "Microsoft Windows Preinstallation Environment Toolkit" I was able to figure it out by looking in the following files:

readme.txt <root of the cd>

Microsoft Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 1 (SP1)

Microsoft Windows Preinstallation Environment Version 2005

Readme Document

January 17, 2005

winpe.chm <cd:\docs>

Daemonforce - is likely correct you have the 2004 version

JuMz,

Can you give more detail about what you have in your hands. When you say you have no docs I can interpret that one of two ways. First, you only have the disk in hand from Microsoft. Or second, you have a burned copy of one that someone has already modified to not include the winpe.chm. What I'm getting at is you need to clarify this. As a side note, you might be able to figure it out based upon the WinPE OS that it boots into. Check out the microsoft website which will give some information as to what each version supports. For example my 2005 version supports Windows Server SP1 and Windows XP SP2.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...

I know it is old topic but I found out quite easy way to determine what version of Windows PE you are using.

In cmd type:                                regedit

Locate this registry key:             HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WinPE