Reduce ISO image size

kernel93

I use UltraISO which has a optimize option when you go to save the ISO, although I haven't used that option as far as I know it is intended to reduce the filesize somehow.

another alternative is CDIMAGE, I've seen this mentioned a few times although never used it myself, same purpose though.

..somewhere to start anyway..

good luck ;o)

• 2 weeks later...

Every ISO creation tool, which have options like "duplicate once" or similar, can reduce the needed size of the disc. They all use a hardlink function which is know from NTFS. On FAT file system it is called "cross-chained files" and on the Linux systems it is called "symbolic links". This means: If on your disc is a file i.e. notepad.exe which is five times there and all the five "notepad.exe" are EXACTLY the same file (check the hashes) then the tools create one real notepad.exe and at the other locations of the notepad.exe it creates only a special kind of link which says "I am notepad.exe" but it is only a link to the real notepad.exe. But the good thing is that the hardlink reacts like the real notepad.exe and the OS think there are 5 real notepad.exe and not only one.

@McStarfighter

thx for ur post

but can you advice me by which program have options like "duplicate once" or simil

and if you can add some pic so we can follow it

that's what i have got when try to copy norton antivirus 2006 with total size 1.36 GB to cd 700 MB

the norton2006.iso size is 796 MB

untitled4yd.th.jpg

thx very much

Edited by MichaelMagdy

Hi,

in UltraISO the option is at File - Properties. And there is the option "Optimize". This is what I mean.

At CDImage and CDImageGUI I know they have the options, too. Perhaps mkisofs and tools which are based on mkisofs can do this, too.

I never had made such a kind of disc (I'm still working on my 8GB-Multiboot-USB Flash Drive...) so I can't exactly say how to make the discs with the options. But still there is Google... :D

@MichaelMagdy

If your Norton Antivirus pack (or another program pack) size before optimization is 1.36 GB and resulting ISO image size is 796 MB you cannt burn ISO image (796 MB) to 700 MB CD. You should apply overburn using special CD (say 850MB) and your CDROM must support overburning.

Making ISO (with wanted features incl. optiimizing) is very easy with CDimage GUI. When all preparements are done you press Creation button and you get alike this:

The following Commandline will be executed:

"C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\cybECC7.tmp\cdimage.exe" -l"winxp" -t02/16/2006,00:00:00 -h -n -b"D:\WinXP_RVM_BTS\loader.bin" -x -o -m "D:\WinXP_RVM_BTS" "f:\winxp.iso"

It's usual Cdimage command line, but you don't worry about syntaxis in the above case.

@MichaelMagdy

Making ISO (with wanted features incl. optiimizing) is very easy with CDimage GUI. When all preparements are done you press Creation button and you get alike this:

The following Commandline will be executed:

"C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\cybECC7.tmp\cdimage.exe" -l"winxp" -t02/16/2006,00:00:00 -h -n -b"D:\WinXP_RVM_BTS\loader.bin" -x -o -m "D:\WinXP_RVM_BTS" "f:\winxp.iso"

It's usual Cdimage command line, but you don't worry about syntaxis in the above case.

@stasys44

i'm so sorry

but i didn't understand how can i reduce my iso with cdimage gui

can you add any explanations pictures through command line with norton.iso

Download CDimage Gui and try:

http://www.tech-hints.com/prog/cdimagegui.zip

I use it for Windows XP installation with various options - unattended, regular, with Bashrat driver pack, without BTS drivers.

STARTUP button - there are 3 tabs - directories, config, about

CONFIGURATION - 7 tabs - files, filesystem, boot, signature, report, test,

creation

files - if you use time stamp - mm/dd/year,hh:mm:ss

- you should include hidden files and directories - check -h

boot - choose your boot file. I use BCDW v.2 - it supports ISO

(Acronis True Image, Disk Director ,..),

I point to loader.bin

If you use CD shell, EZ boot, your choice will be other

signature - you should check -o OPTIMIZATION

creation - what volume label?

CREATION - command line