Help! Understanding Multiboot Winxp & Winxp

antzpompeii

Hi All

Hoping someone here can give me some insight into this:

For the life of me i just can't understand how to set up my computer for multibooting two operating systems. I tried to use Radified's Guide but to no avail. I've stuffed up my pc a couple of times and had to reinstall winxp more than 5 X !!!!!

Ok - i understand that both operating systems have to run on primary partitions.

I tried using partition Magic but this is when everything went wrong!

My question is ' i've installed winxp on c:\ and now i should create another primary partition so i can install the second copy of winxp.... except when i do this it also saves it to c:\ and the other partition becomes unabootable! - is this because the boot.ini file is the same? what am i doing soooo wrong!

Microsoft.com Guide says,

"after installing MS-DOS, Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me to prevent these operating systems from overwriting the Windows XP boot sector and the Windows XP startup files".

Does this mean i should install MS-DOS on a primary partition and then install Winxp? As i want to give it a different drive letter apart from c:/

If someone would plsssssss give me some very basic instructions - i would be very grateful... i'm pretty new at this and the reason i want to install both o/s is because incase one failes due to virus infection and software applications that may stuff up files.

Edited by antzpompeii

My question is ' i've installed winxp on c:\ and now i should create another primary partition so i can install the second copy of winxp.... except when i do this it also saves it to c:\ and the other partition becomes unabootable! - is this because the boot.ini file is the same?
You can't have two primary partitions, there is one primary then one extended partition with logical drives inside it...

Ummm,,, i don't think you can only have one partition and then logical drives to be able to multiboot two o/s.... i've been doing a bit of reading for the last couple of days and they say that you can have up to 4 primary partitions and be able to multiboot.

I've created two multiple partitions and have put winxp on both.... to do this i went to

MY COMPUTER = RIGHT CLICK

CLICKED - ADVANCE TAB

CLICKED - START UP AND RECOVERY

CLICKED - EDIT = 'Opens up Boot.ini file in txt mode'

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="XP1_Raw" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="XP2_Raw" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

And changed both names in red to identify each o/s.

It seems to work but my problem is that i don't want winxp on my c drive and have no idea on how to do this. I think i need to create a FAT partition and install something else there.... but again have no idea!!!!

If anyone can help me i would appreciate it greatly.

Thanks

Regards,

Antz

Ummm,,, i don't think you can only have one partition and then logical drives to be able to multiboot two o/s.... i've been doing a bit of reading for the last couple of days and they say that you can have up to 4 primary partitions and be able to multiboot.

I've created two multiple partitions and have put winxp on both.... to do this i went to

CLICKED - ADVANCE TAB

[boot loader]

timeout=30

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="XP1_Raw" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="XP2_Raw" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

It seems to work but my problem is that i don't want winxp on my c drive and have no idea on how to do this. I think i need to create a FAT partition and install something else there.... but again have no idea!!!!

Thanks

Regards,

Antz

That is absolutely correct,

or if you want you can use bootlader like Symantec's Boot Magic, or Vcom's System Commander

They can hide your primary partition so when u install/use one windows, the other is invisible

CLICKED - ADVANCE TAB

[boot loader]

timeout=30

[operating systems]

Thanks

Regards,

Antz

That is absolutely correct,

or if you want you can use bootlader like Symantec's Boot Magic, or Vcom's System Commander

They can hide your primary partition so when u install/use one windows, the other is invisible

Thanks for verifying that with me.... i've still got problems though....

Ok - first off 'PArtition Magic & BootMagic' have instructions which i just can't seem to get right.

Second - this is what i want to do and how do i do it.

I want to build 4 Primary Partitions

Partition 1 -

I need an operating system here as it has the boot.ini file and this is what i need to start.

(Except that i want this partition to be secure and do not want the outside world to see its a C drive) is there a way to change this?????

Also would like to add encryption to my files??? - can it be done???

I have no idea on how to change this!

Partition - 2

WinXP Prof. + Programs etc. = CONNECTS TO THE INTERNET = FIREWALL/PATCHES/HOTFIXES/ANTIVIRUS

+

Extended -

DATA - Logical Partition

DOWNLOADS - Logical Partition(mainly used for all types of downloads such as limewire p2p etc.? - if this partition is infected then i can just delete and it will not affect the rest of the other partitions.... right?

Partition - 3

WinXP in case something goes terribly wrong! + BACKUPS for Norton Ghost (Will not defrag this partition)

Partition - 4

WinXP PRof + Video Editing Software & Photo software

+

Extended -

VIDEO EDITING - Logical Partition

PHOTOS - Logical Partition

Is the above anyway possible?

Can i enforce / manipulate the first drive letter c:/ without loosing my boot.ini file?

Can i copy boot.ini to the other partitions should one die?

How to encrypt Partition 1 with O/S WinXP Prof and its boot.ini file? can this cause me to not be able to boot?

Is there a software to install that will force the downloads to a specific partition? ie. Extended/Logical DOWNLOADS?

Does any of the above make any sense?????? Oh and by the way all of these WINXP Prof O/S that i want to add are all nlited with tweaks / patches etc.

PLSSSSSS i am in soooooo need of someone's expertise here!!!!! i've been reading and reading / installing and deleting and parititoning for the past month!!!!!! :(

Would really appreciate a very basic step by step guide or a solution.

ThanksAntz

Edited by antzpompeii

1. U have to have fat32 partition that is always visible to install bootmagic (I usually have logical extended of 50 MB at the end of the HD

2.Install one OS

3.Install Bootmagic (and turn on advanced partition hiding)

4.Make bootmagic rescue disc

5.Make a second partiotion primary, but do not install yet, just format

5.Disable bootmagic

6.Boot from rescue disc and put second partition active (first will be automaticlly hidden)

7. Install second OS

8. Boot from rescue disc and put first partition active (second will be automaticlly hidden)

*. Install other OSs using same procedure (allways activating partiotion on which you install OS)

9. When finifshed Enable bootmagic, (assign names, passwords, give visibility of other partition or not)

And don't foreget to enable advanced partition hiding!!

Hope it helps you, if you have furter questions contact me via PM or email

• 9 months later...

I think the limit is three primary partitions and one extended partition. I might be a little rusty on this, as I haven't seen that mentioned in writing in a long time.

I think the limit is three primary partitions and one extended partition. I might be a little rusty on this, as I haven't seen that mentioned in writing in a long time.
You can go 4 partitions on the MBR:

4 Primaries

-or-

3 Primaries + 1 Extended

When you choose 4 Primaries... that's it. No more partition for you, because there is no room in the MBR to store more partitions.

So go the 3P+1E route instead.

Within the Extended partition, you are free to create as many Logical Drives as you want.

(MCSE stuff ;))

Now for the need:

- You can't *totally* encrypt any partition; how can Windows load when ntloader is encrypted?

- You can choose which partition to boot; mark it as active. Don't forget to unmark others as active.

Now for some neato tricks: At boot time, drive letters are assigned according to the order in the MBR. Assignment of other drive letters are changeable via Computer Management in Windows. Thus, there are 2 drive letters you can't change: boot drive and system drive (i.e. the actual Windows version loaded -- this is locked after you choose the OS' partition on boot.ini).

Edit:

Okay, I guess I can pin down the general way to do your bidding.

1. Boot with WinXP CD

2. Zap all partition

3. Create 3 partitions, the 1st one FAT32, the others NTFS

4. DO NOT INSTALL WinXP

5. Boot with Win98 CD -- install to C:

6. Boot with WinXP CD -- install to 2nd Partition -- here's where boot.ini will be found.

7. Configure the boot.ini file to be able to boot to C: (there's a way, but I forgot exactly)

8. Boot with WinXP CD -- install to 3rd Partition

9. From within WinXP, create Extended Partition, and as many Logical Partitions as you like

10. Boot with WinXP CD -- install to 4th Partition

11. Edit the boot.ini to differ between the Operating Systems

Disclaimer: I have not ascertained if the above steps are feasible, or possible, or even doable. You can't hold me responsible :P

Edited by pepoluan