Changing source path during textmode

I am trying to install Windows on a computer with no removable storage available. I would like to start the install using the CD-Boot method on another computer and move the hard drive after the text mode portion of setup. I know that I can copy the I386 folder using the $OEM$ folder but how can I make sure that the GUI portion of the setup knows where the source files are?

try using /syspart command

from a normal windows PC , attach the new hard disk that needs to have a system installed , and run this

"%WindowsSourceFiles%\I386\winnt32 /syspart:F /unattend:Unattend.txt

Where F is ur first parition on the new harddisk ,, and unattend.txt is ur unattended answer file ..

Thanks. The only thing this method doesn't do is partition and format the new drive, but I can live with that. Now I just have to figure out what needs to be changed in my winnt.sif to be a valid unattend.txt.

I know that I can copy the I386 folder using the $OEM$ folder but how can I make sure that the GUI portion of the setup knows where the source files are?

First step: Partition new (target) drive. Use 3d-party partition tool or MS Diskpart&format tool.

Sample diskpart CMD

@echo off
title One part disk preparing
echo starting disk partitioning... > log.txt
echo. >> log.txt
diskpart.exe /s partone.txt >> log.txt
if not "%errorlevel%"=="0" goto error
echo. >> log.txt
echo formating... >> log.txt
echo. >> log.txt
format F: /fs:ntfs /v:System /q /y >> log.txt
if not "%errorlevel%"=="0" goto error
echo. >> log.txt
echo end formating process... >> log.txt
cls
goto end

:error
cls
title OPERATION ERRROR!!!
COLOR 0C
type log.txt
pause
cls
exit

:end

Sample diskpart script:

select disk=1
rem clean
create partition primary
assign letter=F
active
exit

For more info, see help.

Step two. Prepare target disk with syspar key winnt32:

My syspart bat (work sample)

@rem SetupMgrTag
@echo off

set AnswerFile=..\Script\fullauto.txt
set SetupFiles=..\i386
set TempDisk=F:
set DestDisk=F:

start /wait %SetupFiles%\winnt32 /s:%SetupFiles% /syspart:%DestDisk% /tempdrive:%TempDisk% /unattend:%AnswerFile% /copydir:I386 /noreboot

/copydir:I386 - after install I386 source folder put in %SystemRoot% (Like Windows) folder.

Replace after install source pach:

REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup" /v "SourcePath" /t REG_SZ /d "%SystemRoot%" /f
REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup" /v "ServicePackSourcePath" /t REG_SZ /d "%SystemRoot%" /f
REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup" /v "CDInstall" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f" /f

I have successfully installed Windows but now my hard drive is labeled E: Is the drive "remembering" what is was on the origional PC or there something telling setup to use this drive as E:?