Remote Access on Small Business Server 2003

coolhuh

Hi,

I am wanting to retrieve information from my work by remote access with my laptop at home. I have windows XP on my laptop and at work my network uses a server with small business server 2003. Can anyone help by giving me directions on how to do it or pointing me to a website that shows how.

Thanks

Definately need some details here. Is your SBS behind a router or firewall? Or is it naked to the internet? More importantly are you the network administrator or the CEO of the company who owns the network? If you don't have control over the network, it may be impossible to access it remotely. If you don't have permission to access it remotely but you do anyway, you could be putting your job (and maybe more) on the line.

SBS is behind a router, Yes I have total access to the network. It is for a small office and the owner wants to have access from his house. He wanted to know if I could help him set it up, I am the only one in the office that has some knowledge of the network, just never setup remote access before.

Thanks

Edited by coolhuh

Before you get started you need to configure your router to forward port 3389 to the router. Now if you do not have a static ip then you will want some sort of a dynamic dns account. If your router supports Dynamic DNS use www.dyndns.com and sign up for one. Then put the info into the router and it will forward your ip to that domain :-D If your router does not support it you need something like http://www.no-ip.com its the same deal but it uses software on the server to update it instead.

http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/howto-14.html

thats a decent tut. on how to setup the actual RDC

Good luck!

I would forward that port to his desktop computer rather than the SBS Server. You probably don't want a technological neophyte terminal servicing into the company's main server. Better that you take the risk he does something wrong to a workstation.

By the way, if the only thing he wants access to office type files (Word, Excel, etc), you may want to consider setting him up with a Gmail account and then installing Gmail Drive at work and home. I did this for someone a few months back and they're pretty happy with the arrangement since all he wants is access to word documents and spreadsheets.

What about security in all of this people?

What about it? The man asked a question and we tried to answer it. I've pretty much given up on preaching security unless someone specifically asks about it or it's a client of mine. Once you mention some kind of suggestion regarding security, it starts what is practically a religous war here, with everyone chiming in what they claim to be the best advice.

VPN's are great. That's also a very very wide topic. A topic I assumed (perhaps mistakenly) was beyond the scope of the question. Consumer grade VPN? Like a couple of Linksys endpoints. Enterprise grade VPN? Like a Cisco PIX or VPN Contentrator, Checkpoint, NetMotion, etc.

I sort of figured that with the question that was asked, the intent was not to bring in a consultant or some other service, but rather to just get the job done using in-house talent.

I deal with this one all the time as a technical consultant... The cheapest, recommended and easiest answer

(as all the tools are already provided) for dynamic IP internet connection is to setup a dyndns account ie. (work.dyndns.gotdns.com) setup your router to forward port 3389 to your workstation IP, which of course has access to your files on the server and access the network that way.

SBS 2003 only has Admin access via Terminal services so although the connection is encrypted your still accessing from a family PC to a fully Admin accessible server (not good)

If VPN is a consideration then VPN access is easiest via a higher end SOHO router with provided client software but is more expensive and harder to setup. if you want other VPN options then buy 2 VPN routers, 1 at work and 1 at home and setup a permanent tunnel from home, just make sure your IP ranges are different at each end ie. 192.168.0.1-254 and 192.168.10.1-254

well its actually very easy to setup a vpn via Windows 2003 and remote connections. It does not require the bringing in of a consultant, I have setup a VPN connection for my friends business via Windows XP and allowing incoming connections on the server (PPTP). This works very well.

• 2 weeks later...