NeoTrace

XPerties

Source from Tech TV

If you're a frequent reader of my blog, you know I've had my share of nasty-comment posters since day one. Ah, such is life when you're a woman on TV. Deleting posts is OK, but sometimes it's hard to keep up.

I use Movable Type, which lets me view the IP addresses of everyone who posts and allows me to ban IPs if I like. The problem is most people have dynamic (changing) IP addresses, so you can keep banning the same person over and over and they'll keep getting through.

But what if you're really bothered by someone and need to figure out who they are and where they are? Allow me to introduce you to NeoTrace. This program does a lot of things, but I've found it particularly helpful in tracking down otherwise anonymous blog posters.

Sneaky little poster

For example, there's a person (let's call him Timmy) who lives just outside Little Rock, Arkansas. Timmy is one of those obsessed folks who posts with multiple names, email addys, IPs, and so on. If I didn't know how to trace his a**, I'd think a whole brigade of hurtful jesters was invading my blog. But no! NeoTrace showed me that it's actually just one person in that little Arkansas town posting over and over from the same computer with a dynamic IP address. Ah, well that changes things somewhat, doesn't it? Tsk-tsk, Timmy.

NeoTrace lists the ISP people are connected to and how to reach it. If I so desired, I could contact the ISP (in this case, SBC), report the harassing behavior, and submit evidence. In this case it isn't worth the hassle, but at least I've got the power.

Bottom line

You don't ever have to be harrassed online, and NeoTrace is a great program to kick your online detective skills into high gear. NeoTrace is a product of NeoWorx, which was bought by McAfee a couple years ago. It's free to try, $30 to buy.

Also as shown on the show it will show you every hop it makes, so if you want to game and connect to a server you can see what servers it hops fromm to get a better idea on which gaming server is best to connect to.

It works really good, It cost 30 bucks but it's worth it. You can download a trial but I *cough* bought it. :):rolleyes:

Screen 1

Screen 2

Screen 3