WinPE 2.0

Mcfly000

PE 2.0 will be released with wista. Until then the current version is 2005 or 1.6. This version is availible to OEMs, system builders partners and sa customers.

I started messing with PE a few years back when Longhorn was still in 4xxx stages. As far as I was concerned, I liked LHPE more because of the way setup started. Ever since I started using the XP OPK it looks like we're taking two steps back on an OS that already needs help. Since troubleshooting and deployment can be done with PE, I can't really gripe about it. =/

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like winpe 2.0 is released with vista 5308. A ximage /info on boot.wim give this:

<WIM>
<TOTALBYTES>136731078</TOTALBYTES>
<IMAGE INDEX="1">
<DIRCOUNT>356</DIRCOUNT>
<FILECOUNT>2222</FILECOUNT>
<TOTALBYTES>305861243</TOTALBYTES>
<CREATIONTIME>
<HIGHPART>0x1C634D7</HIGHPART>
<LOWPART>0xB8C04106</LOWPART>
</CREATIONTIME>
<NAME>Microsoft Windows Longhorn WinPE (x86)</NAME>
<DESCRIPTION>Microsoft Windows Longhorn WinPE (x86)</DESCRIPTION>
<FLAGS>9</FLAGS>
<WINDOWS>
<ARCH>0</ARCH>
<PRODUCTNAME>Microsoft« Windows« Operating System</PRODUCTNAME>
<PRODUCTTYPE>WinNT</PRODUCTTYPE>
<PRODUCTSUITE/>
<LANGUAGE>00000409</LANGUAGE>
<VERSION>
<MAJOR>6</MAJOR>
<MINOR>0</MINOR>
<BUILD>5308</BUILD>
<SPBUILD>17</SPBUILD>
</VERSION>
<SYSTEMROOT>WINDOWS</SYSTEMROOT>
</WINDOWS>
</IMAGE>

PE 2.0 was suppose to come out the same time as the 5308 beta, but it was delayed, PE 2.0 will be a free download once vista comes out thought, not just to oem and the like with the previous versions

Vista FebCTP Fact Sheet

• Windows Preinstallation Environment 2.0. The Windows AIK tool suite also includes a test version of the Windows Preinstallation Environment (Windows PE) that works in conjunction with this Windows Vista CTP. Windows PE 2.0 replaces MS-DOS® as the standard deployment environment for Windows Vista. Windows PE 2.0 is now freely available to all corporate customers. Windows PE 2.0 includes the following deployment advances:

• A pre-installation boot environment has features for installing drivers, troubleshooting and recovery of the operating system. Nearly all Windows Vista deployment tools will take advantage of Windows PE to significantly streamline processes and reduce the cost of deployment.

• In enterprise environments, Windows PE will enable IT departments to create scripts and applications to further automate deployment. For example, an IT administrator could set up a Windows Deployment Services remote deployment infrastructure, create a configuration script (or program instruction), and build a custom Windows PE image (by adding drivers) to enable a highly automated deployment process — saving money and making better use of limited IT resources

@allen,

MS has been using the Pe loader that you see there since the longhorn days,

Edited by fizban2