What Not To Remove For Some Programs

mraeryceos

if you remove too munch then linksys wireless-G network not detected under the settings for WM Recorder 10.2, with using the WinPcap 3.1 beta4 drivers

WM Recorder 10.2 -- what xp files it needs for nlite to keep it working and able to detect your network

WinPcap 3.1 beta4 -- what needs to stay for this too stay working

• 1 month later...

Re: HTTP SSL, post 81.

Camarade Tux, stuff on microsoft site doesn't count. Only your experiences. Did you find out anything more? I think SSL not dependent on Cryptographic Service in SP1, but is in SP2. This is my blurry memory so I wouldn't even include it in my first post. Also notice there is an HTTP SSL service in SP2 (or in later service pack?), but not in SP1.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gates'_Law

• 3 weeks later...
iTunes 6.0.4.2 + Winamp 5.24 + NTI CD Maker 6.5+ Dependency: Wmasf.dll + Wmidx.dll

If you remove Windows Media Player 8 (but leave Windows Media Player Classic 6.4) with nLite from Windows XP these programs will not function correctly or will display missing file errors when opening because they require the following files that are removed: Wmasf.dll + Wmidx.dll. If you add these files back into the System 32 folder from an non Nlited XP install these programs will function correctly with no errors. thumbup.gif

Update: The same applies to iTunes 7, NTI CD Maker 7, and Winamp 5+!

Dr Watson: Program dependent on dbgeng.dll file and won't run without it. Solution: Add dbgeng.dll from a non nLited XP to Windows System 32 folder.

Microsoft Internet Explorer 7: Program dependent on Windows Update Manager and won't install without it.

Microsoft Outlook 97, 2000, XP, 2003: Program dependent on Outlook Express and won't work without it. Microsoft Outlook 2007 isn't dependent on Outlook Express and will work without it. You can Use Thunderbird or other 3rd party software instead as it isn't dependent on Outlook/Outlook Express.

Windows Defender (a.k.a. Microsoft Antispyware): Program dependent on Windows Update and won't install or if you get it to install won't be able to update without it. It was originally designed by GIANT AntiSpyware which was bought out by M$ and was rebranded as Microsoft Antispyware with Beta 1 and Windows Defender with Beta 2, and now is being integrated as a M$ service dependent on M$ update. Possible Solution: Sunbelt Software which was Giant's partner has released CounterSpy based on GIANT Antispyware, which I have tested and it works well. From what I have read it's also a well regarded product!

Windows Media Player 11: Program dependent on Imapi CD Burning to burn CD's. WMP can still rip music CD's, but because it's dependent on the Imapi CD Burning service; it can't burn music CD's. Use iTunes, Winamp or other 3rd party software instead to burn CD's.

Yahoo Music/Radio + Yahoo Jukebox (formerly MusicMatch Jukebox): Are dependent on Windows Media Player 8. Yahoo Jukebox will tell you it can't install because of this problem, but Yahoo Radio will try to work but fail without any specific error. If you install WMP 8 or higher then these apps should work. I installed WMP 11 and then both apps worked fine.

Edited by joemama1969

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some guy created a guide, I had this in my bookmarks somewhere and decided nuhi might benefit from reading through it.

It also has a list of "350 system32 files never to delete" which may come in handy.

Perhaps nuhi could create some options in nLite to include those ideas, just a thought.

Here's the link.

http://www.bold-fortune.com/forums/index.php?showforum=13

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Don't remove "Printer Support" nor "Microsoft Color Management (ICM)" in the Hardware Support section section if you want to run the Nvidia Display Optimization Wizard (nvcolor.exe). One of those things that makes it tricky but also fun to use nLite. Pretty soon I will be finding out which service(s) prevents installation of .Net Framework when deleted with the beta version 1.4. :}

News:

I just managed to confirm what was posted by Legolash2o about not being able to install .Net Framework if the "Net Logon Service" is removed. This service will probably be either excluded from nLite's remove list or at least be shown in red.

Edited by babudeoha

• 1 month later...