What Not To Remove For Some Programs

mraeryceos

Honestly, I'm pretty disappointed that this is a Sticky.

Don't get me wrong, the concept is excellent. But the post itself is quite disorganized, and somewhat incoherent.

Some suggestions:

1) Why not place the list of applications in alphabetical order?

2) You could also make an alternate list with the files (in order) and the programs affected by them. It would be much easier to sift through that way.

3) Why not also include Windows components that shouldn't be removed for certain apps, not just particular files.

I don't know. Just a little more info (maybe a better explanation/intro at the top of the first post) and organization, guys.

Adding BB Code also helps make it more readable. ;)

PS: I'd be glad to help out if you like. (This is a 'real' offer, not a 'sarcastic' one. Really. I'll help.)

humm...this is a good idea,

but why not you do such a thing and post it and sure any moderator or nuhi himself will make it sticky :hello:

Honestly, I'm pretty disappointed that this is a Sticky.

Don't get me wrong, the concept is excellent. But the post itself is quite disorganized, and somewhat incoherent.

Some suggestions:

1) Why not place the list of applications in alphabetical order?

2) You could also make an alternate list with the files (in order) and the programs affected by them. It would be much easier to sift through that way.

3) Why not also include Windows components that shouldn't be removed for certain apps, not just particular files.

I don't know. Just a little more info (maybe a better explanation/intro at the top of the first post) and organization, guys.

Adding BB Code also helps make it more readable. ;)

PS: I'd be glad to help out if you like. (This is a 'real' offer, not a 'sarcastic' one. Really. I'll help.)

theres a wiki version of this thread which already has some of teh programs listed (alphabetically and by component) but it does need some updating so feel free to edit it.

I thought I could contribute a little bit to this great thread. I felt like playing Mafia the other day (on of the greatest games btw) and realized that the intro was missing at the beginning and the menu video was all messed up. It was filled various colors and patterns. It didn't look nice at all. Anyway, turns out that Mafia needs the "Intel Indeo codec" to be able to run Bink Player so you might wanna keep that in mind anytime a game intro or menu graphics doesn't behave the way you wants. Besides, it doesn't impact the overall size of your UA Installation anyway so the choice should be obvious, unless gaming is completely out of the question.

Edited by Marthax

I was wondering what HTTP SSL was so I searched and found the following on microsoft.com

The next auto-start service in the IIS services infrastructure that starts is the World Wide Web Publishing Service (WWW service). It is hosted by Svchost.exe. In addition to the IIS Admin and RPCSS services, the WWW service has dependencies on the HTTP SSL (HTTPFilter) service. The IIS Admin service and RPCSS were started earlier, but before SCM starts the WWW service, it needs to demand-start the HTTPFilter service.

The HTTPFilter service has dependencies on the IIS Admin service and the HTTP service. It is this dependency on HTTP that causes SCM to start the HTTP.sys kernel-mode driver. Consequently, SCM starts the HTTPFilter service, which runs in Lsass.exe (or Inetinfo.exe if you are running in IIS 5.0 isolation mode), and then starts the WWW service.

Are they talking about another HTTP Filter that would come with IIS rather than with XP SP2 ?

Anyway, I think HTTP SLL is for server-side. So if you run an IIS webserver, you'd probably keep this.

Anyone to confirm or infirm this ?

edit : but that say it is dependant on HTTP and this driver(http.sys) is also listed in the registry. I've stopped it here and I can still browse. I'll reboot and check; this seems weird.

Edited by Camarade_Tux

Ah, if this is true, perhaps someone ought to correspond with the KMPlayer developers. I was hoping to try this player on my stripped-down XP installation the other day, however after appearing to install successfully, attempting to launch the software has no effect.

Cheers,

James

x

Anyone using Grisoft's AVG plus Firewall need to keep Dial-up and VPN Support otherwise the Firewall fails to start with the following error

The dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion. (1075)

Realtek HD Audio for onboard 7.1 setups requires hhctrl.ocx, to access it in the control panel. Without access to this panel, there is no way to enable 'Stereo Mix', which lets you record what you hear. Major problem for screen recording software like FRAPS, but easily fixed by copying the file over to your system32 dir, or adding it to keepfiles in nLite.