Movie Thumbnails in Windows 98?

Chaldean

Just wondering if it is any way possible to enable movie thumbnails, just like in windows XP (if you have a mpg, avi, it will show you a picture of the clip)

Are there any 3rd party applications that do this? Thanks in advance

http://www.irfanview.com/ does this in browse mode (get the plugins you need)

and the webview will give you a preview for the odd file (for pretty much anything compatible with media player).

but afaik you can't have movie previews in thumbnail view (unless someone else knows of an app)

Edited by miko

Just wondering if it is any way possible to enable movie thumbnails, just like in windows XP (if you have a mpg, avi, it will show you a picture of the clip)

Are there any 3rd party applications that do this? Thanks in advance

I can remember that it worked from self once.

First of all sorry with my really poor english

i try to find at this moment in windows ME, but this will work on Windows 98 SE (where i found it!).

files modified:

folder.htt in Windows directory (where i think this did work!)

standard.htt in Windows\Web dir

sysroot.htt in Windows\Web dir

there is one way, you can have mp3 preview too, just find your hidden files with the .htt extension in the folder

X:\Windows\Web

or you can type:

X:\Windows\Web\standard.htt

X:\Windows\folder.htt (recommended)

infrom your notepad (you need to replace, X: by your Windows drive example:

C:\Windows\Web\standard.htt

D:\Windows\Web\standard.htt)

i hope it works for you :D

find the section:

function IsMovieFile

replace:

return false with return true

if there is not your extension you can ad in the middle just like the others ",avi,asf"

in case you can´t seeit you´ll need dowload the codecs n install (that´s the DivX with avi extension)

and to add mp3 preview just follow the steps for video preview,

there is next to it, replace return false with return true, and add the extension ",mp3" (Windows ME have it already included)without quotes dont get confuse and add it in the middle,

im really sure it can be in Windows 98 updated (maybe just with iexplore updated i didn´t try this before, aybe it works without updates), i use this in Windows 98 SE and works perfect, just like opened media player, because have the main control, BW, PLAY, FW, PAUSE, STOP, Volume Control.

if you can´t find the file .htt in Windows 98 SE, check this desktop.htt and folder.htt.

you should ask why the other files, the reason is:

i dont have installed Windows 98 right now, i have windows ME in one pc and windows xp in the second both are slow, 166 MHz and 233 MHz.

i found the needed file in windows ME (who thinks is not the same windows 98 n windows me xcluding bugs and easy to use).

if, there is a little different with windows 98 SE could find the value "Media: true" or "var media : true" close to the top, i hope to be wrong with these las 2 word lines, but just in case don´t work for the movie preview (and mp3 preview) try to find what i say in this paragraph.

note: if don´t works what i say, sorry, try to find by yourself...

final note:

i was testing, at the end of all:

works folder.htt (i found it in Windows dir wich i modified return false with return true, then i made a copy to Windows\Web and it works fine)

my proof to my eyes was beck.asf audiofile played in x:\my documents\my music folder.

for windows me you can find folder.htt hidden in Windows dir, modify it and copy or move to Windows\Web

for windows 98 se try to find folder.htt in Windows\Web dir (in case, only in case you dont get function IsMovieFile in folder.htt found in Windows\Web dir try to find in Windows dir)

i almost forgot, youll need to have selected to ake it works, and other application wich works, i think is fotoslate (not really sure but it was from the same company, long time til now i remember that, was cool) from ACDSee when you do right click on an audio or movie file, it starts playing (the movies in a good thumbnail size in the middle of the context menu)

have phun! guys

it was Maxfutur from México.

Edited by Maxfutur

• 2 weeks later...

Be aware that if you do enable movie previews in Windows Explorer under Windows 98, you will have problems with files getting locked by the process.

If you click on an avi file say, and the WMP preview pops up, you will not then be able to rename or delete that file, as the OS will report it as being in use.

This limitation does not happen in Windows 2000 or XP.

afaik that depends on which activex control you use and weather or not the file is loaded by the control or merely cued (which usually depends on OBJECT PARAMs).

idealy as as soon as the mouse reselects the file, either via a left click to move or a right click to rename, the preview process is cancelled.

i have tested every possible available WMP activex control, from the default through 6,7,8 up to 9 in the past, and this topic shows a few easy (and not so easy) alterations to the default webview folder.htt -

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=38258

btw 98(se) will render preview thumbnails of saved html/htm pages in the webview (safely and inertly), XP afaik will not.

also text preview can be added ( ;) ), swf and any media format you can add support to WMP for (through codecs, filters & splitters) simply add the file extensions into the relevant parts of the .htt

if you know enough html there is little which cannot be achived with the 98SE webview (especially if you start adding custom controls and/or external scripts, though that's not my style)

Edited by miko

if you know enough html there is little which cannot be achived with the 98SE webview

One of the main reasons I wouldn't use XP over 98 or 2000! :)

Thanks for the tip about avoiding the file locking, I will try that.

I have a customised .htt with movie preview for the shared "My Documents" folder which is used on 98 and 2000 (dual boot).

It does lock the files and prevent renaming etc. on 98, but not on 2000.

Good to know that this is probably avoidable!

:)

some webview tut linkage -

http://www.virtualplastic.net/ (left > 4th down)

though its somewhat out of date in relation to 98SE

PS (for anyone who wondered what happened to that little project) i continue to work at my leisure on my simple lightweight 'bugfixed' webview (it was a very old posting) and the full thing (for all folders, including the system folders) is now pretty much done with just some packing and .inf installer work to be done before i upload it somewhere, sometime . . .

Edited by miko

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone thanks for the responses. Just thought I'd let you all know that I found a program perfect for my particular situation (also, if somebody ever googles this topic in the future, they can see my response)

The program is called XnView, and it works perfectly. It is highly customizable, and it even caches the thumbnails in any designated folder you want. I highly recommend it. Download it here-

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/pierre.g/xnview/enhome.html