[Help] Installing xp on sata hd

sokrat2004

hi everybody i have a sata hard drive and i tried to install xp but i failed and i searched the web i didn't find any usfull information so can anyone help me

my sata hard disk is maxtor 80 gb and the mother board is msi with chipst sis and i really need to know how to install the windows

what i done was

first time i didn't use F6 at the begining so the installation cd didn't recognize the hd

second time i used F6 so the pc asked for the disk that came with the motherboard and i insert it and choosed the xp installation files and the hd was recognized by the cd but at the state of copying the files there was an error in reading the files and it couldnit be copied and the installation faild again

thierd i inserted the files from the flobby that came with the motherboard on the insatallation cd and changed the txtsetup file but i think the changes i did was no right so the installation cd didn't work so please help me on this please

Contact the support stuff where u bought the computer/ hd (best solution)

I'm presuming u selected the correct driver from the floppy for your OS type

otherwise, IDE SATA option must be enabled, unless u use RAID

or it's a motherboard controller problem, try bios update??...

Usually, the mobo CD needs to be run to build the drivers Floppy Disk for you.

At least mine did.

See if your PC will boot off of the Mobo CD and make the drivers disk (A:) for you.

I'm assuming here that you DO have a floppy drive on that PC. (?)

Windows will consider that SATA drive as a SCSI device, NOT an IDE device.

You must also set your mobo to boot from that SATA port and NOT an IDE port.

I could fix that thing in five minutes if I had it here, but it's a hard thing to explain over the internet.

I FDISK'd and formatted my first SATA drive in DOS before I ever turned XP loose on it.

I knew that I could boot to DOS on the SATA drive so I knew that it was all setup correctly on the mobo.

I'm still running Xp pro on that FAT-32 formatted HD and it works just fabulous.

Good Luck,

Andromeda43 ;)

First of all. What kind of hardware u are using.

If you got the correct floppy, then by pressing F6 and inserting the right floppy, leave that in place untill the first reboot. The files on the floppydisk need to be copied to the harddisk.

If not then on the Motherboard cd there can be a file makedisk.exe that makes this floppy. Or search for a dir with this file txtsetup.oem copy the files in this dir to floppy and voila.

Second you can try to boot in dos by a Win98 bootflop. www.bootdisk.com

Make a partition with fdisk. Format it FAT32.

Reboot and boot from the XP CD. and try again.

Remember not to format the FAT32 partition to NTFS. Leave it as is.

After installation u can covert it to NTFS by typing this in the console.

convert c: /fs:ntfs

If all this fails maybe try a new xp cd.

greetz and succes

first of all thank you for replying

second mr.Andromeda43 i made the fdisk thing and it works correctly but the problem was with the installation it self of the xp cd

i used the 98 cd for making the partitions for the hd with fdisk then i reboot and i inserted the xp cd for installing the windows and the problem like i said was at the coping proces mobo came with a disk for the sata but it didn't work

so the problem is how to make the hd copy the files from the disk

Easy solution (replace CD, or your CD/DVD reader if that is the problem)

Longer (install any MS operating system, copy the entire cd contents to hd, start setup from hard disk..)

Check over at google if anyone other is having the same problem using motheboard model u are..