Shrink Diskeeper 10 setup to 8mb!

Francesco

1 ) First of all unpack the setup executable with winrar.

There will be 2 folders in the dir where you will unpack the setup: X86 and X64

2) Chose the folder you want (X86 = 32bit, X64 = 64bit) and run the setup inside that folder with the /a switch and create an administration install inside another folder.

3) Go in the folder where you made the administration install

There will be 3 folders and 1 file inside the administration install folder:

[Fonts][program files]

[system]

Diskeeper Professional Premier Edition.msi

Now copy the msi file and the following folders in another directory (remember to mantain the directory structure!):

program files\Diskeeper Corporation\Diskeeper\

program files\Diskeeper Corporation\Diskeeper\DKWinXP

program files\Diskeeper Corporation\Diskeeper\English

program files\Diskeeper Corporation\Diskeeper\NoSchedNT

System\DKWinXP

4) In the last folder where you copied the msi and all the folders just create a sfx archive with winrar that extracts to a temporary location and then runs:
"Diskeeper Professional Premier Edition.msi" /QN

Et voilà you will have your nice 7.91mb diskeeper 10 setup!

Now remember to delete all those temporary folders before your hd explodes :P

Sorry, I'm new to the whole Winrar SFX scripting thing, but how would you setup the commands? I understand the MSI portion, I don't know how it works within a WinRAR SFX, though.

Thanks!

Jason

Wait there's a simpler way:

click on the "Comment" tab of the dialog that appears when creating a new archive and then type the following:

;The followindg comment contains commands for the sfx script

Setup="Diskeeper Professional Premier Edition.msi" /QN

TempMode

Silent=1

Surely the setup can be slimmed down more, I didn't want to check out all the files, I just moved the entire folders. The problem is that the .msi is 6mb in size so it takes a lot of space and also docs etc are very big. Probably it can get even smaller by using 7zip however I hate losing a lot of time for making 7zip installers every time that's why I used winrar instead.

BTW If you give a look at diskeeper 10 new features, like the one that finds out the fastest part of your hard disk and puts most accessed files there probably you would switch immediately from perfectdisk to diskeeper :P

I got burned on Diskeeper pretty bad back around version 7. The program actually corrupted system files on a few dozen workstations. I'm sure they've probably resolved all that long ago, but as the old saying goes "God forgives, I don't". I switched to PerfectDisk which has never failed me and has excellent management through Group Policy.

I got burned on Diskeeper pretty bad back around version 7. The program actually corrupted system files on a few dozen workstations. I'm sure they've probably resolved all that long ago, but as the old saying goes "God forgives, I don't". I switched to PerfectDisk which has never failed me and has excellent management through Group Policy.

I had a different problem strangely my pc was rebooting when using perfectdisk so I switched to diskeeper (even if old versions sucked).

yea, any way to take out more?

You can try moving only the msi file in an empty folder and then launch it and start installing, then copy every file the setup says it's missing one by one in the msi folder (remember to preserve the folders structure) until the setup completes. Maybe some files are unneeded but most of the size is still caused by the msi file so I don't think it's really worth to spend any more time with it. If you still want to try that then tell me the unneeded files (if there are any) so I can update the post.

The important thing is that the setup is not 60mb anymore :P

i can't get it to 8mb

it is 20.3 for me

u are using retail version or trial something?

are you sure you did move only the folders I wrote in the post and deleted the others? You should not move the subfolders until specified in the folders list.