What do you think about diskeeper 10?

Francesco

I just checked out the next diskeeper 10 (trial can be downloaded here: http://www.executive.com/downloads/menu.aspx ) and it seems to be a lot better than the previous one. First of all they remade the interface: now it's better organized and looks better. They added a new defragmentation method called I-FAAST (this remembers me of perfectdisk's smartplacement) that sorts files based on their access time (I think it runs only as a job, I don't think that kind of defragmentation can be run manually).

Also, thank god, they finally added an option to prevent defragmentation of very large files, since diskeeper really sucks with those files: it hangs the pc completely until those files have been completely defragmented . I was astonished that after just 10 diskeeper versions they fixed out this "small" issue.

Now it's also possible to add more than a single schedule (you can add 2 schedules for the same drive, plus the ifaast schedule that makes them 3).

And like all that stuff wasn't enough (in the previous versions changes were pratically only in the interface) now the smart i/o seems to work better (I don't know if they changed that or what).

What do you think? Could diskeeper 10 be a real alternative to perfectdisk 7?

BTW I forgot to say that the setup contains both 64bit and 32bit editions.

I like dk10 mainly since the pro premium edition supports XPx64 & integrates into computer management.

For all other purposes, I still prefer dk9 & thats what I run on 32bit XP.

dk10 still needs a major refining of the UI (& this is admitted by diskeeper corp themselves) - its totally unusable on any resolution less than 1280x1024.

Well i would rather have to say the contrary.

Using Diskeeper Pro Pre 10 on Win 32 at a resolution of 1024 x 768.

enabled IFAAST on all the drives complimented with primary as well as a secondary schedule. All of them running all day.

From the time i have set it , have not had to look once at the fragmentation problems. Whenevr i try to manually defragment , there are no fragments.

Now my analysis of what must be happening. My comp has not got more than about 10 files exceeding 500 MB and they all have been defragmented so it does not touch them ever.

I have a GB of ram ( if nearly everyone now a days does not ) . So the work which goes on in background does not get affect me ever. Also , keeping the schedule running all day does not give strain to the computer at that one moment when it defragments weekly. Instead , daily the small number of files are arranged and so the strain is less.

Performance has gone up . Works a charm for me !!!!! :)

I found out that i-faast is completely different from smartplacement: smartplacement just sorts file but i-faast instead finds out the faster areas of the hd and puts the most accessed files there! That's really cool!

I like dk10 mainly since the pro premium edition supports XPx64 & integrates into computer management.

dk10 still needs a major refining of the UI (& this is admitted by diskeeper corp themselves) - its totally unusable on any resolution less than 1280x1024.

i agree with the ui issues, but i think it still gets the job done

i agree with the ui issues, but i think it still gets the job done

What's wrong with the ui? it works fine even with 1024x768

I love the way it works...but I hate the UI. I'd like to see more of the drive layout on the Volume Map tab. The bars don't need to be nearly as thick as they are. I'd also like to be able to turn off some of the buttons...I don't need 5 different ways to start a defrag on the same screen.

I also don't like the way the job report is done.

As for the multiple schedules, that's been there since DK7 (maybe even 6). It's just easier to get to now.

• 1 year later...

I have 2 systems on Diskeeper 2007 Pro Premier v. 11. It is totally marvelous. I had spent entire nights trying to defrag an XP Pro laptop with 15gig left on a 60gig hd, only to find it locked up in the morning. Just using DK in trial mode (fully functioning), DK 1st told me I was very short of a proper MFT file setting. After enlarging the MFT setting, it has seamlessly kept my HD in tiptop condition, speeding up the system considerably, also using the I-FAAST. No scheduling is necessary, since DK seldom even bothers the using of other apps.

I was able to get the best price on the Diskeeper 2007 Pro Premier from Provantage. DK is a pricey utility, but as is often the case, an excellent utility is worth its price to overcome a Microsoft OS weakness. :thumbup

smartplacement just sorts file but i-faast instead finds out the faster areas of the hd and puts the most accessed files there! That's really cool!

"The fastest areas of the hd" = The outer tracks of the drive. Any defragmenter that can place files strategically by either last access or modification date on the outermost track moving inwards accomplishes the same thing.

DK and PD have a lot of marketing claims that need debunking. They probably already have been.