Silence of the foxes updated

LaptoniC

I've found a very advanced 'SOF'

With this very useful installer (in every language) en program you can set every firefox setting that you can see in about:config.

http://www.frontmotion.com/Firefox/fmfirefox.htm

@G3brown: you are asking for no prompt for unsigned extensions.

Add this to your prefs.js: user_pref("extensions.checkCompatibility", false);

Edited by Malarky

@jase4772

I'm sure there is, but I don't know how. I would imagine it would be in the same realm of what I'm looking to do as well which is install extensions without the initial pop up window.

@Marlarky

I bumped into that site when I was looking for alternatives after SOF died here. Perhaps I don't understand the site, but it appears they charge $150 for a years access to the packager. I'm looking for a way to package extensions. So far, the batch file I posted above is the best "free" alternative I could find. On the first run after installing with the batch file, it ask to install the packaged extensions. If I use the method you described wouldn't that permanently disable Compatibility check? Did the old SOF use a method like that and I was just unaware of it?

Edited by g3brown

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/2553

what I really dont find is a way to disable the "Profile Migration Wizard" aka the bookmark import window. Maybe the CCK does also help there, since you can preset settings in about:config. (but I dont know which one would disable the migration wizard)

maybe this helps, not tested however.

add the following setting to the default firefox settings within the CCK wizard:

profile. allow_automigration : false

Edited by bj-kaiser

Bin/Install.cmd

setup.exe -ms -nosplash -setDefaultBrowser

Theres no need to use the -nosplash switch as FF doesn't support it.

I currently use an AutoIt script to install FF and TB along with components, plugins, extensions and user profiles. Once compiled if the exe is run without switches it will create the folders needed copy the users profile from appdata\Mozilla Firefox or Thunderbird and download the current verion of each of the setups FF and TB. It only gets the GB EN version though.

I don't really use it for installing extensions as I always use my profile but I have tested it and have had a few probs, sometimes when installed the extensions are disabled but when installed via TB or FF they are OK, this is normally due to the max version setting of the extension so I just edit the install.rdf file and increase the max version. I don't know whether it works with every extension but they all install the same way with the -install-global-extension switch. The extensions are then copied from the FF extensions dir to the users profile so they are there when the profile is backed up.

I have added it in case folks want to look or it may help if someone wants to create their own script, its still a work in progress and I was thinking of editing it to be switchless and install both FF and TB along with a recursive install of all extensions in a folder but got distracted :blink:

mozilla.au3

Hi Firefox users,

I've got just what you've been looking for. How to create a custom Firefox v2.x silent installer using SOF. I assume that you know how to use SOF. So lets get started.

***Preparation***

If you havent already done so, install firefox with all themes, extensions and plugins you require

Make your changes in Tools>Options, remembering to press ok on the MAIN tab as the tab you close on will be memorised

1. Extract or install SOF to a new folder, call it SOF

2. Delete the four folders in "\SOF\Project\Firefox" as they will not be needed

3. Run SOF

4. Select New Project (Select Open Project and jump to step 7 if you have ran through this process before and are updating your silent installer)

5. Unpack Firefox installer with SOF

6. Delete the optional folder, keep it if you need the inspector and talkback extensions

***Add your files***

7. Click the button for Main Files to open "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox"

8. Copy contents of Plugins and Components to the same folders in "\SOF\Project\Firefox\nonlocalized"

9. Copy contents of Searchplugins to "\SOF\Project\Firefox\localized\searchplugins" if you have any others than the default ones

10. Click the button for Profile Files to open your profile folder

11. Copy bookmarks.html, localstore.rdf, mimeTypes.rdf, prefs.js to "\SOF\Project\Firefox\localized\defaults\profile"

***Optional files to add***

12. Copy key3.db and signons2.txt if you want to keep your passwords remembered. IMPORTANT: Dont copy if you are distributing this silent installer as it contains passwords to websites you have joined

13. Copy cookies.txt if you want to keep website settings

14. If you use Adblockplus, copy the adblockplus folder and patterns.ini inside it, the backups are not needed

***Add your extensions and themes***

15. Go back to the profile folder window, the extensions folder in here contains all the updated extensions, copy all the contents of the extensions folder to "\SOF\Project\Firefox\nonlocalized\extensions" if there are any

16. Go back to "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox" window and copy all the contents of the extensions folder to "\SOF\Project\Firefox\nonlocalized\extensions" but dont overwrite the contents of the previous step

***Disable profile migrator***

17. Create a new text document in "\SOF\Project\Firefox\nonlocalized" and name it override.ini, open it and copy and paste the following into it and then save it:

[XRE]

EnableProfileMigrator=false

***Make your silent installer***

18. Press Pack in SOF and wait till the process log turns yellow, you should then have a sfirefox.exe in your SOF folder

***Make Firefox your default browser***

19. Add the following line to your cleanup.cmd for unattended install

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -silent -setDefaultBrowser

Or add the following line to firefox's shortcut target

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -setDefaultBrowser

Or enter into command prompt for the test

***Test your silent installer***

20. Uninstall firefox, delete the "Mozilla Firefox" folder in Program Files and the "Mozilla" folder in "C:\Documents and Settings\Family\Application Data", Run sfirefox.exe

Thats it. I hope its clearly explained. I might automate the process with autoit as it gets tedious after you've done this a few times, especially if you like to be up to date and do a lot of unattended installs. Thunderbird is done the same way, i will create a tutorial for that too soon. I have been using this method since version 2 came out. Sorry I didnt do this earlier, i would have saved you's guys all that work. Enjoy ;-)

Time to gives an update for this very important program for the browser wich many of us use. Because SOF don't good supports the second version of Firefox is SOF updated to SOF2. Its supports all Firefox version 2 installers and is totally silent now. Also are many new features added.

Details:

[Tool] Silence of the Foxes 2

Silence of the Foxes 2 (SOF2) is a batch program which will try to help you make totally silent Mozilla based setup packages the way you want. I will add more features and fix the problems on request.

Currently supports / Features:

- All profile data: like bookmarks, cookies, (form)history, interface, preferences and usernames & passwords (more information in the Readme).

- User data: like 'userChrome.css' and 'userContent.css'.

- All extensions (will now install silently, also unsigned extensions).

- Extensions data (like the filters of Adblock Plus).

- Plugins: like Mediaplayer, Quicktime and Adobe Reader (description of all known plugins is included in the Readme).

- Search-Engines: like Imdb.com and MSFN.org (latest is included).

- Themes (unsigned themes can also installed silently).

- Deletes the default (unneeded) extensions DOM Inspector and Talkback (optional).

- Supports all Firefox 2.X.X.X versions.

- Hole installer is silent.

- Sets Firefox to default browser.

- Don't show the Profile Migration Wizard first time Firefox started, by default.

- Adds automatically default Firefox icon to the installer.

- Adds automatically the right Firefox version number to the installer.

- Adds 'user.js' to the installer, what means following things:

* Don't load the Firefox homepage the first time Firefox started.

* Don't redirect to the Firefox homepage after updating.

You can add and delete entries in the 'user.js' if you want.

Includes also:

- 'FF-Remover': Removes all Firefox files and registry entries silently. Now you don't need an test system anymore.

- 'All-In-One': A batch that helps you with making your Silence of the Foxes. You have almost only to say 'Yes' and 'No' he is doing all the other tthings. Garanted the most easy way!

To Do:

- Add data from more specific extensions, like the filters of Adblock Plus.

- Add Mozilla Thunderbird support.

- Improvements of the 'Firefox Remover'. (Possible can it brokes your internet-links).

- Add the right version number to 'Firefox-Silent.exe'.

- Full automated process.

Known Issues:

- The installer won't maybe install all the extensions at all time as subscribed here.

- Windows/ Office Genuine Advantage plugins are not supported.

Other Information:

- Compressed with UPX 3.00 and P7-Zip 4.49.

- The installer and the SFX are compressed on the highest ratio.

- Used 7z SFX to 1.2 RC1 (build 715) to get more advanced installer options. (Take a look here for more options).

I've tried to add an configurable INI to the installer, but it seems that Firefox 2.0.0.5 don't supports that command line argument anymore.

Changelog:

v2007.07.26 BETA:

- Added 'All-In-One.cmd' to the installer (full automated Silence of the Foxes process).

- Updated 7z SFX to 1.2 RC1 (build 715).

- Full Install.cmd convert to the SFX.

- Set Firefox to default browser bug fixed.

- Deleted 'hidcon.exe' from package.

- Minnor Changes.

v2007.07.23:

- Support for user data: like 'userChrome.css' and 'userContent.css' added.

- Batch adds automatically the right Firefox version number to the installer.

- Profile Migration Wizard bug fixed.

v2007.07.22:

- Initial release

Read the 'Readme' for all the instructions and more information.

Current version: 2007.07.26 BETA

Latest version: First Mirror - Second Mirror

Latest stable version: First Mirror - Second Mirror

MD5: BA66F9F381642807B6B56D215D8F005C

Size: 270KB

Requires: Utility that can unpack 7-Zip archives

Regards,

Inferi0r

Edited by Inferi0r

I personally install Fx with a 7z switchless installer like this :

start /wait setup.exe /S
move override.ini "%programfiles%\Mozilla Firefox\"
move /y bookmarks.html "%programfiles%\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\profile\"
move /y localstore.rdf "%programfiles%\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\profile\"
move /y mimeTypes.rdf "%programfiles%\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\profile\"
move prefs.js "%programfiles%\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\profile\"
move flashplayer.xpt "%programfiles%\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\"
move NPSWF32.dll "%programfiles%\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\"
move NPSWF32_FlashUtil.exe "%programfiles%\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\"
for %%g in (*.xpi) do "%programfiles%\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -install-global-extension "%%g"
"%programfiles%\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -setDefaultBrowser -silent

One thing that is beginning to drive me mad is that when making a for loop to install two extensions globally, then only one of my two extensions get's installed. If i instead ditch the for loop and just use two seperate lines to install the extensions, then only the first one listed will be installed. When i reverse the two lines, then the other extension gets installed, as it's now on top, but not the other one on the line beneath. On Ryan's forum, then i read someone saying that he had tried to add a pause between the installation lines in his batch file and that this also didn't helped any, but if i don't hear anything else, then i will test this myself tomorrow also..

Thank's in advance.

On Ryan's forum, then i read someone saying that he had tried to add a pause between the installation lines in his batch file and that this also didn't helped any, but if i don't hear anything else, then i will test this myself tomorrow also..

Look at the first link in my post above. That someone is me :whistle:

Use my installer or the command I use (check the Bin/Install.cmd in my tool).

Edited by Inferi0r

***Add your extensions and themes***

15. Go back to the profile folder window, the extensions folder in here contains all the updated extensions, copy all the contents of the extensions folder to "\SOF\Project\Firefox\nonlocalized\extensions" if there are any

16. Go back to "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox" window and copy all the contents of the extensions folder to "\SOF\Project\Firefox\nonlocalized\extensions" but dont overwrite the contents of the previous step

The correct and proper way is to download the *.xpi file for the extensions you want installed and place them in the

"SOF\Project\Firefox\extensions"

folder.

That will save time (and space) messing around copying the extension folders over,

Other than that i think you've got it spot on mate, I also been using this method since like forever i don't really see any reason why not to continue using it still, And i look forward to testing your autoit script..

Just my 2 cents

Cheers

Edited by ironside