This sucks!

RJARRRPCGP

:whistle: try a older sb live driver it might work?

What the bleep is this all about? The driver installer from Creative gives me the error message saying that a Sound Blaster Live 5.1 couldn't be found on my system and then terminates!! :realmad:

I DIDN'T GET THE WRONG DRIVER, AFAIK!! :realmad:

Then when I tried another one from Creative, Windows still is bitching about the the fact that MMDEVLDR can't load the driver!!

Nobody told me that this was an issue with Asus A7N8X family motherboards and using a pre-Windows 2000 OS!!

The Nvidia onboard audio don't have this problem.

Did Creative lie to me that it's compatible with Windows 98 SE?

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

Do you have this product: http://www.creative.com/products/product.a...7&product=14184 ?

I see:

Minimum System Requirements

* Microsoft Windows XP (SP2) or Windows 2000 (SP4)

Have you tried to look at http://www.creative.com/language.asp?sDest...pport/downloads ?

What is exactly the model you have? What PCI ID it has?

You will in registry under [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Enum\PCI\ - my Soundblaster Live! 1024 has the ID: VEN_1102&DEV_0002&SUBSYS_80271102&REV_08 - it means

Or you can use Everest - http://www.lavalys.com/ - for the identification (In Devices -> PCI Devices).

Or you can try to use DriverAgent - http://driveragent.com/ to see if they know about the driver for your OS.

The scan works with IE (ActiveX installed), Firefox (extension installed), Opera (extra program installed). Does not work with Mozilla Suite and Mozilla SeaMonkey.

Always it is possible to use the search - http://driveragent.com/scanorsearch.php

Petr

Or upgrade your OS. :whistle: I've have a SBL! 5.1 card for over 2 and a half years, still works like a charm.

I wouldnt upgrade, try the bios settings some have a sound blaster setting,

I got away from sb and got a yamaha ds-xg and it is awesome, on 98 that is.......

Well, you've found the bug that rears its ugly head when wdm's are uninstalled with an SBLive. If you peruse the Creative forum's, you'll see many with that "no Creative (or SoundBlaster) hardware installed" message.

One way to (sometimes) fix it is to use CTZAPPXXX.exe (sometimes no XXX) to install the driver first, then the software program install works. This works with the newer (since 2002) WDM drivers, but I have no idea if the older vxd's are CTZAPable!

If not, you can try removing the driver (if it's still there) in device manager, rebooting, then directing the Windows installer to the Audio\English\drivers\9x (check the cd to see exactly) folder and after rebooting with the driver installed try to run the cd.

There are cards that only work with the cd's that they came with. OEM's and such. Unfortunately, there are cards that only work sometimes with the cd's they came with, as well!

Sometimes it takes a format and Windows fresh install to get back the fresh registry so the cd works. After years of troubleshooting this, no one has ever figured out what is removed after uninstalling the Creative drivers/software that causes this wrong hardware detection.

It is best, with Creative cards, to install and update, but never uninstall their stuff if you want to use the card again without a format. You may get lucky, but most of the time not. Again, that CTZAPP thing solves the problem MOST of the time with the newer drivers.

Also, with the 5.1 card cd's, they are set to install WDM's by default. If you don't want this, you must create an Sb_install folder on your harddrive and copy the entire contents of the cd to it. Then, in the Audio\English\Setup folder, you must change the properties of the Audio.ini file to uncheck Read Only. Then change the value of 98SEWDM=1 and WINMEWDM=1 to both 0's. Then save it and recheck Read Only in the file's properties. Then you run either CTRUN.EXE (sometimes it doesn't work after choosing "English," or the Setup.exe in the Audio folder.

That is with the old LiveWare 3.0 cd's. With the newer driver cd's you can only change it to vxd after the cd is installed by running CTZAPP, uninstalling the WDM, rebooting, installing the VXD. Don't bother though. The newer vxd's sound like crap and don't install the SB16 Windows dosbox emulation. With the newer software you're better off with the WDM drivers.

Edited by Eck

Well, you've found the bug that rears its ugly head when wdm's are uninstalled with an SBLive. If you peruse the Creative forum's, you'll see many with that "no Creative (or SoundBlaster) hardware installed" message.

One way to (sometimes) fix it is to use CTZAPPXXX.exe (sometimes no XXX) to install the driver first, then the software program install works. This works with the newer (since 2002) WDM drivers, but I have no idea if the older vxd's are CTZAPable!

If not, you can try removing the driver (if it's still there) in device manager, rebooting, then directing the Windows installer to the Audio\English\drivers\9x (check the cd to see exactly) folder and after rebooting with the driver installed try to run the cd.

There are cards that only work with the cd's that they came with. OEM's and such. Unfortunately, there are cards that only work sometimes with the cd's they came with, as well!

Sometimes it takes a format and Windows fresh install to get back the fresh registry so the cd works. After years of troubleshooting this, no one has ever figured out what is removed after uninstalling the Creative drivers/software that causes this wrong hardware detection.

It is best, with Creative cards, to install and update, but never uninstall their stuff if you want to use the card again without a format. You may get lucky, but most of the time not. Again, that CTZAPP thing solves the problem MOST of the time with the newer drivers.

Also, with the 5.1 card cd's, they are set to install WDM's by default. If you don't want this, you must create an Sb_install folder on your harddrive and copy the entire contents of the cd to it. Then, in the Audio\English\Setup folder, you must change the properties of the Audio.ini file to uncheck Read Only. Then change the value of 98SEWDM=1 and WINMEWDM=1 to both 0's. Then save it and recheck Read Only in the file's properties. Then you run either CTRUN.EXE (sometimes it doesn't work after choosing "English," or the Setup.exe in the Audio folder.

That is with the old LiveWare 3.0 cd's. With the newer driver cd's you can only change it to vxd after the cd is installed by running CTZAPP, uninstalling the WDM, rebooting, installing the VXD. Don't bother though. The newer vxd's sound like crap and don't install the SB16 Windows dosbox emulation. With the newer software you're better off with the WDM drivers.

Welp, I don't have the CD, because this sound card was given to me. Should I try to download an ISO of it?

Do you have this product: http://www.creative.com/products/product.a...7&product=14184 ?

I see:

Minimum System Requirements

* Microsoft Windows XP (SP2) or Windows 2000 (SP4)

Have you tried to look at http://www.creative.com/language.asp?sDest...pport/downloads ?

What is exactly the model you have? What PCI ID it has?

You will in registry under [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Enum\PCI\ - my Soundblaster Live! 1024 has the ID: VEN_1102&DEV_0002&SUBSYS_80271102&REV_08 - it means

Or you can use Everest - http://www.lavalys.com/ - for the identification (In Devices -> PCI Devices).

Or you can try to use DriverAgent - http://driveragent.com/ to see if they know about the driver for your OS.

The scan works with IE (ActiveX installed), Firefox (extension installed), Opera (extra program installed). Does not work with Mozilla Suite and Mozilla SeaMonkey.

Always it is possible to use the search - http://driveragent.com/scanorsearch.php

Petr

Nope. That one don't even appear to be the same model! The model of mine is SB0100. That don't look like a SB0100!

The SB0100 probably is the first SoundBlaster Live sound card, thus

it probably supports Windows 98 SE. This is the link based on the model code:

http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/d...=32&Image4.y=11

Also, the sound card was fine under Windows 2000 SP4, thus the sound card isn't bad!

It smells like a hotfix is required for this! :(

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

No, the SB0100 was not the first SBLive card. I have CT4760, SB0100, and SB0224. The SB0100 was actually the last one issued with the old Liveware 3.0 software. If you have the cd for it, you have the best version of the VXD drivers for the Live.

You may have run into the bug I mentioned after uninstalling the kXProject drivers. Something gets removed after uninstalling WDM's on the Live cards that messes up the card detection of the Creative setup programs.

If you do a fresh Windows install, I'll bet you could install the cd. BUT DON'T! You'll get the worst WDM drivers for the Live which are installed by that cd by default. And you'd be back where you started.

See my other post in this thread and copy the cd to an Sb_install folder on your hard drive and change the 2 Audio.ini settings for WDM from 1 to 0, and then run setup and things should be fine.

Just update PlayCenter to 3.02.52 and uncheck that Creative News thing. Just tick the drop down on the Creative Launcher and uncheck the Check for Live News Updates thing. It's not connected to any link anymore, but it's another process that runs unless you turn it off.

Tell Spybot to ignore the detection for all the News entries too. This way it won't bork your Liveware install.

Oh. And go into device manager and in your Multimedia Properties hardware tab, go into Audio Compression Codecs and to the properties of the Creative mp3 codec (ctmp3.acm.) Tell it to not use this device. Now Windows Media Player won't play mp3's all screwed up and mess up startup sounds in your Themes. It's not compatible with an active Creative ctmp3 codec.

If you call Creative, they can sell you a cd with the same software and also the 252 driver included that the XP download has (that SBLive UniPack.) This cd's package runs flawlessly with the WDM driver on 98SE. Too bad you can't just use the download, but that doesn't have some 98SE updates you need, or all the software you get with the cd. That package doesn't need any updating (except turning off the mp3 codec). You get the latest PlayCenter 3.02.52 for 98SE and the Recorder, Remote Center (if you have the LiveDrive), Wave Editor, Minidisk, Surround Mixer with the built in EAX, AudioHQ, etc. I got mine with my SB0224 card.

So many possibilities. I'm sure you can get it working.

No, the SB0100 was not the first SBLive card. I have CT4760, SB0100, and SB0224. The SB0100 was actually the last one issued with the old Liveware 3.0 software. If you have the cd for it, you have the best version of the VXD drivers for the Live.

You may have run into the bug I mentioned after uninstalling the kXProject drivers. Something gets removed after uninstalling WDM's on the Live cards that messes up the card detection of the Creative setup programs.

If you do a fresh Windows install, I'll bet you could install the cd. BUT DON'T! You'll get the worst WDM drivers for the Live which are installed by that cd by default. And you'd be back where you started.

See my other post in this thread and copy the cd to an Sb_install folder on your hard drive and change the 2 Audio.ini settings for WDM from 1 to 0, and then run setup and things should be fine.

Just update PlayCenter to 3.02.52 and uncheck that Creative News thing. Just tick the drop down on the Creative Launcher and uncheck the Check for Live News Updates thing. It's not connected to any link anymore, but it's another process that runs unless you turn it off.

Tell Spybot to ignore the detection for all the News entries too. This way it won't bork your Liveware install.

Oh. And go into device manager and in your Multimedia Properties hardware tab, go into Audio Compression Codecs and to the properties of the Creative mp3 codec (ctmp3.acm.) Tell it to not use this device. Now Windows Media Player won't play mp3's all screwed up and mess up startup sounds in your Themes. It's not compatible with an active Creative ctmp3 codec.

If you call Creative, they can sell you a cd with the same software and also the 252 driver included that the XP download has (that SBLive UniPack.) This cd's package runs flawlessly with the WDM driver on 98SE. Too bad you can't just use the download, but that doesn't have some 98SE updates you need, or all the software you get with the cd. That package doesn't need any updating (except turning off the mp3 codec). You get the latest PlayCenter 3.02.52 for 98SE and the Recorder, Remote Center (if you have the LiveDrive), Wave Editor, Minidisk, Surround Mixer with the built in EAX, AudioHQ, etc. I got mine with my SB0224 card.

So many possibilities. I'm sure you can get it working.

I probably don't require PlayCenter. I just want the drivers, SoundFont samples and surround sound support.

I'm gonna use Quintessential Player.

You then would choose a custom install and pick just AudioHQ, Soundfont Manager, and Windows Drivers.

Gotta use the older LiveWare 3.0 drivers and install Surround Mixer as well if you want surround virtualization. They called it Movie Mode or Live Surround, I think.

With the newer drivers you need PlayCenter installed and in player mode open the middle section and tick CMSS to on. They removed the surround modes from the newer Surround Mixer, so you need PlayCenter to turn CMSS on.

Otherwise only 5.1 sources (like DVD's) will use more than the front 2 speakers. With CMSS, it virtualizes the rest so you can hear your 2 channel mp3's out of all the speakers.

So, they force you to install PlayCenter on the newer offerings. Players like Foobar2000 offer a plugin that offers stereox2. You might like that better. Then you don't need PlayCenter for music, but you still would need it to get your games to play out of all the speakers.

By the way, a poster named "BadBoy" (not sure about upper or lower case letters) has a thread on the Creative US SoundBlaster forum with links to download ISO's of several installation cd's. You might find one that works for you there. us.creative.com is the us site, then go to the Support dropdown, then choose the forums.

Edited by Eck

Windows 98 SE refuses to load the sound card driver with the error message in the screenshot.

This is with the kX Project Sound Blaster Live drivers and SoundBlaster 5.1 SB0100:

windows98sesoundcarddriverprob.th.jpg

If you're fortunate enough to have one or two ISA slots, just

go to eBay and get an SB-AWE 32 or 64.

Anyway, I suspect the reason for this driver's failure is that it

wasn't really tested on Win98, as you would expect these

days. Microsoft hacked various forms of NT-emulation into

Win9x/Me, but since it's no longer being updated, drivers

that attempt to use unsupported APIs will undoubtedly

become more and more widespread.

That's weird (as a lot of computer stuff is!)

The latest released version of the kXProject driver is supported on 98SE. The newer beta's are not, however.

So if you used the one on the official download page it should work. Maybe posting on the official forum for it at driverheaven would get someone who knows about this to help.

I might try uninstalling the driver from the start menu shortcut, rebooting, and uninstalling the software from the shortcut. That's their official uninstall method. Then perhaps either try again or use DriverCleaner before trying again. Perhaps you had other drivers/software for the card installed before and the different versions of the files are conflicting. DriverCleaner helps with that sort of thing.