MS Installer starts when I click certain programs or drives

amenx

When I click a tweak app (XP Smoker), the installer for MS Office FrontPage starts. I tried to let it go thru its motions and selected 'repair' yet it still comes back whenever I click this program. On other occasions, when I right click my D drive, I got the installer for Roxio Easy CD Creator v6. Again, I let it start and chose the 'repair' option and it seemed to not occur again. But the Office FP problem is more persistent.

I tried checking MSKB and found a few instances of this problem but none of the solutions applied to my particular circumstances.

Any ideas, help appreciated.

That happens a lot more than people think. Normally, you just have to update or fix the M$ Office files and it stops doing that. I guess that's M$s way of telling you it's a good idea to update. It is a strange one.

I also had often this problem, for eample, when you install MS Office 200 and don't it first as administrator, but normal user, then I often ran into these problem. Sometimes simply running office as asministrator helped, but not always. I think think, that it is very supposable, that there is a update, which still has to run some actions.

It may not hurt to run a couple of simple fixes first:

run sfc, reinstall msi upgrade, repair associations / system files maybe with tweak ui, run a reg repair utility-- even a simple one like Spybot's Tools/System Internals may catch something. Semi-related but i will say one thing: every single Office install from 95 thru 2k3 has had some bug/error: i always run that spybot tool after an office install & it catches files left behind in Temp folder or install media, files placed in wrong folder or install path in registry incorrect, misspelled / incomplete registry entry re path or file/folder name... to the degree that i'm surprised no one's developed some post-install script/utility to correct all & maybe even make sure everything's been properly registered & no critical Win files / associations have been erroneously tampered with.....

Good Luck.