Setting up WIndows 2003 with DHCP/DNS

Guys

This is my current setup (on a test network):

1 router / WS 2003 with SP1

The server is a domain controller.

The router holds all local IPs and assigns them to individual workstations and the server i.e.

192.168.1.1 - Default gateway

192.168.1.100 - Server

192.168.1.101 - Client 1

192.168.1.102 - Client 2

192.168.1.103 - Client 3

etc etc

Everything work pretty well in what i want to do. Now i want to move away from that configuration and use DHCP and DNS but not sure how to start this off or where to begin or even what the adavantages/ disadvantages are. Could anyone point me in the right direction please?

Cheers

Check out http://www.petri.co.il. The guy that runs the site has great step-by-step articles for everything from DHCP/DNS/WINS configuration to getting Exchange 2kx up and running. I have my AD domain at home on Server 2k3 SP1 running DNS/DHCP/WINS/VPN and file and print services. Working on trying to get ISA Server 2k4 up and running as my firewall. Good luck your configurations!

DHCP is very easy to setup. Just install the service and create a new scope containing the range of addresses you want to use, default gateway, DNS server and WINS (if available/necessary). There are, of course, a ton more options but those are the basics you'll need to get it up and running.

DNS should already be installed on your server since it's a Domain Controller. All you need to configure on the DNS server is forwarders so your clients only need your DC's IP as the DNS server. To configure the forwarders open the DNS Management MMC. Right click on the server name and choose Properties. Go to the forwarders tab. In the 'DNS domain' option at the top make sure "All other DNS domains" is listed. If it's not click on New and create it. Now in the 'Selected domain's forwarder IP address list' just add the DNS server(s) for your ISP. Now you can configure your clients to use 192.168.1.100 as their DNS server (this can be done within the DHCP scope).

Edited by nmX.Memnoch