Silent installs for iTunes 6 and Firefox 1.5

emorgoch

Hey guys,

I've been googling, and trying to find it here, but haven't found the info I'm looking for. I want to run silent installers for iTunes 6 and for Firefox.

For iTunes, I want QuickTime included, but have desktop icons removed and not have QT as the default for media.

For firefox, just a basic install, pre-plugins, extentions, and themes (I'll do those myself later as they change depending on the machine type). The QFA and DevTools off, no desktop icons, but keep start menu and quick launch.

My preferance is to not have to repackage the installers (if I have to extract them, that's alright, I'll leave them extracted. Building a DVD install disc and still have 2.5 GB of space left).

Thanks

Well, For iTunes it's pretty easy. Unpack the installer using winrar into its own directory. The command line you need is :

iTunesSetup.exe /S /V"SILENT_INSTALL=1 INSTALL_DESKTOP_SHORTCUTS=0 ASSUME_QT_DEFAULTS=0 ASSUME_MEDIA_DEFAULTS=0 ALLUSERS=1"

You can change ALLUSERS to 0 if you only want to install for current user, and ASSUME_MEDIA_DEFAULTS to 1 if you want iTunes (not Quicktime) to be default player.

Btw, i know the forum search is down, but the post below yours "iTunes 5 blah blah blah" would have given you all this info.

SP

Thanks for the response. I tried to read through your iTunes topic. Guess the information was is buried somewhere in the 20 pages of replies.

Not to critisize, but I think something that would be really useful would be a section or set of stickies dedicated to the switches available for each application. Repackaged installers are great (and appreciated), but info on how to customize it for yourself in a dedicated area would be superb.

Thanks for the response. I tried to read through your iTunes topic. Guess the information was is buried somewhere in the 20 pages of replies.

Not to critisize, but I think something that would be really useful would be a section or set of stickies dedicated to the switches available for each application. Repackaged installers are great (and appreciated), but info on how to customize it for yourself in a dedicated area would be superb.

Look at the stickies in this forum - lists silent switches for as many progs as we know ... this is not enough?

Though, it's a bit more useful when the forum search is working :(

SP

Again, the stickies are 20 pages long, and they only list what that person specifically does. No definitions on what each of the switches do (some are obvious, others are not), and it's inconsistant format for each person's reply. A general database listing applications, versions, and switches (and other info if needed) that is an abstract for someone to build their own solution, rather than someone's pre-made package, so that people can learn and adapt on their own rather than always going to others is what I'm looking for.

As for implementation, I'd be happy to take a look at providing some form of solution to this problem in 4 months when I'm finished school and have some more spare time.

But, in the mean time, I'm having trouble with the iTunes solution you provided (at least at the VM level, haven't tried production yet). I'm installing iTunes with RunOnceEx. However, it appears that QuickTime is not installing as part of the package with RunOnceEx. Trying to open iTunes after install, and restart, it tells me that it couldn't open because some of the components are missing. And as noted in the other thread, iTunes does not appear in the Add/Remove Programs list.

Doing a manual (double-click exe) installation afterwards from the extracted package, it installs iTunes again, but the Quicktime Installation fails with "Error Code 3" (though iTunes now appears in Add/Remove Programs). This occurs even after a remove (restart included) and re-install is attempted. Installing from the non-extracted package after all this works without a hitch though. Any thoughts?