Reinstalling XP

beccatigger

OK , help needed, I've never done this before. My laptops being crappy so reinstalling XP to it. How can you copy all your hotfixes and how do you actually re-install Windows, do u get a command prompt up and type C:\Format ?

Any help appreciated, ta!

well, you cant do format c: while you in windows, you need to boot from dos,

don't forget to backup your stuff :)

i would recommend to copy installation files to the HD, makes life alot easyer...

Depends on the CD you have. Is it a full CD? Upgrage CD?

If it's a full CD, you should be able to boot from the CD directly into setup. Which is your best option.

That will remove, format, install all in one shot. It's also the "cleanest" way to install Windows. I strongly suggest doing it this way.

The only thing is, you have to make sure your machine is set up to boot from CD ROM, before hard drive.

Bought it in Dixons, very reputable company, will phone Toshiba, s'ok, ta very much 4 da help!

You're welcome. You should know for future though, all new computers should come with a CD. I'm not entirely sure on how it works there, but here in North America they *have* to come with a CD that can at the very least restore the Operating System. I *always* demand a full version CD. When I'm not building it myself I mean. But all OEM-type computers should come with at least a Restore Disk or Recovery Disk. :)

Ok, after speaking with them, I have a backup CD which u stick in the drive (CD made by them) and then it reinstalls it, I'll keep u updated:D cheers nekkid

Excellent. No problem at all :)

I luv those Restore CDs. Hobby of mine to break them open and rummage thru them. Em, might do a few this weekend.

oops. Moved to Windows XP.

LOL me too :)

I bought a 'Time Machine' instead of making one(it was buy now pay in a year so I had chance to save up the money) I should have made my own but that would have been longer with a 486 :s

All I got with mine was a crappy driver CD, no restore CD or anything, I phoned them up and they ripped me of and charged me £19.99 to get a recovery CD, I so should have just gone back to 98 SE lol

I wonder if you are ever able to rip the innards out of the restore cd borrow a friends copy and make your own CD that boots?

Say you want to install all the bloat from SONY, Toshiba etc... but you want a complete CD too.

Borrow the friends cd, compile a new cd using the best of both.

doubt that it is possible, but it could make for an interesting project.