Broadcom shennanigans - 57XX NIC's & b57w2k.sys

Hi all!

Apologies if i've posted in the wrong forum: am not sure whether to use the device driver forum or the unattended RIS install forum.

I'm having an issue with the preparing a RIS installation of Windows XP Professional. I've created an unattended install, and when I do a RIS deployment on Dell Optiplex GX520 machines with Broadcom 57xx network cards. I get 2 sorts of error messages:

1) STOP message during text-mode setup

An initialization failure occured while attempting to boot from network.

0x000000BB(0x00000003, 0xc00000BD, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

2) 'Unexpected Error' message after 'Starting Windows...' during text-mode setup

File b57w2k.sys caused an unexpected error (21) at line 3788 in d:\xpsprtm\base\boot\setup\setup.c. Press any key to continue.

The files concerned are

b57w2k.sys

b57win32.inf

b57xp32.sys

I have two questions:

The person in this post talks about 'reverting' to Win2k drivers. How is this done? I've attempted copying the b57w2k.sys (and the .inf file) to the i386 folder (and doing a restart of the BINL service), but I get the STOP error message.

Updated drivers for the Broadcomm 57xx integrated NIC's are available from both Dell and Broadcom. Which drivers should I download, and which OS drivers should I integrate into the i386 folder (Win2k or WinXP)?

Any input on this situation would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2) 'Unexpected Error' message after 'Starting Windows...' during text-mode setup

File b57w2k.sys caused an unexpected error (21) at line 3788 in d:\xpsprtm\base\boot\setup\setup.c. Press any key to continue.

If that's with a burned CD, probably your CD didn't get burned properly or nLite corrupted the Windows installation data (if you used nLite)

If that's with a burned CD, probably your CD didn't get burned properly or nLite corrupted the Windows installation data (if you used nLite)

He's talking about a RIS image (PXE install from windows server), hence no CD involved.

I'm having an issue with the preparing a RIS installation of Windows XP Professional. I've created an unattended install, and when I do a RIS deployment on Dell Optiplex GX520 machines with Broadcom 57xx network cards. I get 2 sorts of error messages:

Pauld, I've built a lot of RIS images with BCM drivers. I think your issue is related to the RIS inf parsing bug.

See the solution for broadcom drivers here: http://www.broadcom.com/support/ethernet_n..._drivers.php#79

Also see this MS KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315279/EN-US/

Basically, I don't think it will matter which drivers you use. I generally use the latest available when building RIS images. Just make sure you follow the instructions in those links and you should be all set.

Cheers!

Click on the link in my sig for AutoRIS and then download it (it's under 1MB). Whether you use the program or not, you will find Broadcom drivers with a modified .inf file that works with RIS. I modified the .inf file myself and tested it as working. I was presented (not my purchase decision) with a bunch of laptops with Broadcom NICs built in, so I sort of had to get it working.

Dont know if this topic is dead or not, but I've seen this problem occur when the .inf file is different between the flat "risetup" source file (where the modified INF file is needed to get the broadcom adapter working in RIS) and the driver contained in the riprepped workstation image.