Intel 915 chipset based boards

Petr

From what I can tell, motherboards based on the Intel 915P chipset are probably the most desirable for Windows-98se at this point. That

Can anyone else post their experiences with Win-98 and motherboards based on the i915?

I'm using an IG80 mobo with WinMe currently if that helps?

Thanks to Modicr, I got a graphics driver from Scitechsoft.

Anything in particular you'd like to know? I have a spare IDE hd so I could install 98se if you really need to know something specific.

I'm using an IG80 mobo with WinMe currently if that helps?

Thanks to Modicr, I got a graphics driver from Scitechsoft.

Anything in particular you'd like to know? I have a spare IDE hd so I could install 98se if you really need to know something specific.

Well, you've got PCI-express, SATA, 6-channel audio, and firewire (1394). Do any of those work under 98se?

From what I can tell, motherboards based on the Intel 915P chipset are probably the most desirable for Windows-98se at this point. That particular chipset does not have integrated video, and it does have DDR-2 support. The next best would be 915PL, followed by the 875.

According to the mobot on motherboard.org, Soyo has this board:

Soyo SY-P4I915 DRAGON 3

Which I can't find on Soyo's web site nor can I find much about it doing a general web search. Seems that it would make a great win-98 platform. It seems to have ATA-133, which very few boards have.

http://www.motherboards.org/mobot/motherbo...28%2BV2.0%2529/

One problem could be finding a PCI-express video card with win-98 drivers. I guess you can always use a PCI video card.

There is also the Gigabyte GA-8I915P-D ad\nd the Microstar MSI 915P Neo2. Asus doesn't seem to make a board based on the 915P.

All of the 915-based boards that I've looked at all claim that they don't support Win-98, yet in their driver download section there is always support for win-98 for the various components (audio, chipset, ethernet).

Can anyone else post their experiences with Win-98 and motherboards based on the i915?

Scitech drivers working fine on Intel 915 GM/GMS chipset,intel 828801FB/FBM PCI Express root port 2660/2662 states "this device is working properly" under the general tab, seems to fail with not enabled in bios sometimes though. Going to look into that some more, using winme ntkern.vxd etc to lessen chances of missing symbols. Usbhub20.sys reports missing none, having a play with that later in the week

Well, you've got PCI-express, SATA, 6-channel audio, and firewire (1394). Do any of those work under 98se?

Maybe I shouldn't have volunteered so readily ;-)

Unlike the Me install, many error messages during 98se drivers installation, eg., missing *.vxd's. It seemed to forget it had a cd rom & the file dialogue box refused to point to D:

However, eventually it did boot with just 3 yellow !?'s :-)

I'll look a bit further.

1394 is there, IP1000 gigabit ethernet, but I'll test them just to be sure.

After much messing around:

1394 working ok on an external dvd.

Sound out ok, but can't test 6 ch's as I only have stereo kit.

I installed the evaluation copy of Paragon "mount everything 3" & connected a 250G sata hd. I can read from it ok, but no ntfs writes without buying the s/w.

Does anyone know if writes are reliable with the Paragon s/w? I may buy it if so. It's supposed to mount Ext2/3 hd's too but no joy there (on another system, not this ig80)

Ethernet Nic shows up twice in dev' man' & I can't get a reliable connection so unsure what's up there.

Interestingly the Scitech graphics driver works better than on Me!

Anything else before I dismantle it all?

After much messing around:

Sound out ok, but can't test 6 ch's as I only have stereo kit.

I installed the evaluation copy of Paragon "mount everything 3" & connected a 250G sata hd. I can read from it ok, but no ntfs writes without buying the s/w.

Ethernet Nic shows up twice in dev' man' & I can't get a reliable connection so unsure what's up there.

Interestingly the Scitech graphics driver works better than on Me!

Are there any utility programs for the sound component that at least indicates that you have control of 6 separate audio channels?

Not sure why you're messing with NTFS for tha SATA drive. I thought you said you had ME?

Most motherboards with giga-bit nic's usually show drivers for win-98.

Do you have a PCI-express video card? Would be interesting to see if you could get that working under 98.

Are there any utility programs for the sound component that at least indicates that you have control of 6 separate audio channels?

Not sure why you're messing with NTFS for tha SATA drive. I thought you said you had ME?

Most motherboards with giga-bit nic's usually show drivers for win-98.

Do you have a PCI-express video card? Would be interesting to see if you could get that working under 98.

I don't know offhand.

Because I don't have a spare sata, so I borrowed 1 from a pc that has XP & thus NTFS :-)

98se opened a folder containing about 3000 files fairly quickly.

It eventually found the local network & is working ok now.

I have nothing PCI-X related I'm afraid. The application I bought the IG80 for only needs the onboard stuff.

I am using Me on a Thinkpad, but out of curiosity decided to try it on the IG80. In fact it seems that 98se works almost as well.

modicr ::

I'm gonna try to switch the system to APM upon next reboot (running XP at the moment) and see if there will be any changes.

I believe ATi videocards up to X850 work properly. At least the latest Catalyst v6.2 reports support.

Edited by j7n

• 2 weeks later...

I set ACPIOption = 2, Windows reinstalled all mobo "devices" during 3 reboots. ACPI Power Button is no longer listed as system device and the system timer is alone on IRQ 0. I hope this would fix my issue..

• 1 month later...

I can't even get ANY optical/internal CD or DVD drive recognized in 98SE on a Dell Dimension 3100, which has a 915GV chipset. This thread here pretty much outlines the EXACT problems i was having installing 98SE. In the end, the poster also can NOT get his DVD burner detected in 98SE. Is this a 915GV-related problem only? What are we i915 owners to do?

• 1 year later...
Hello, Petr. Have you managed to install USB 2.0 support on your i915 chipset?

I have tried different OrangeWare drivers with no luck, and http://www.winpack.org/petr/usb2-ow-2.04.zip is no longer available.

Thanks.

For Windows 98/ME:

USB driver v2.4 (1/15/2005)? It is now here: http://old.winpack.org/petr/usb2-ow-2.04.zip

As for video - VBEMP 9x supports this Intel 915 card. And SNAP Graphics 3.1.8 also.

Edited by bearwindows

• 1 month later...

I'm using 915 + ICH6 motherboard under 98SE. I think that I've achieved USB 2.0 speed with the help of NUSB 3.3 driver. Anyone also have such experience?

Just one flaw, I can no longer go to Suspend mode due to the nVidia driver. That's unsolvable?

Edited by oc_dt

Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 98 SE have been particularly difficult to install in an USB2.0 and PCI-E system such as this Dell Dimension Dual Core on 945 chipset.

These two OS are most difficult to install on SATA. I had to temporarily set a SCSI card 39160 and put SCSI disk in channel A bus and CDROM in Channel B bus, start with 640x480 old 4 bit VGA colour. Then I transferred on to SATA II Drives. I have succeeded making Nvidia PCI-E card and USB Hub to work successfully both on Windows NT and 98 SE. I still have disk access problem only on Windows 98.

Phoenix BIOS is dated 2007 and has no problem on any other operating system except Windows 98.

My problem is particularly deeper since I have to protect other partitions where Windows NT 4.0, Windows XP, BSD Unix 4.3, Solaris 10, Debian Linux and SUSE 11 already installed and working and some of them are sharing applications and data quite competently.

Intel seem to be influenced by at least one of software giants not to provide legacy OS drivers for their newer motherboard/chipset. You can still build up ground work manually to make PCI-E video and USB Hub to install even on 900 Series Chipset using still available 800 Series driver. You do need a Windows 2000 or XP to make screen capture shots of memory address port maps and IRQ displayed on device manager and then PCI/VEN device port codes from Hkey Local Machine Enum MF and PCI branches of registry taken from working Windows 2000 and then manually enter by hand on Windows 98 SE whose ground work already built by lower class drivers (i.e., 845 and 915 classes) gradually moving up to 945 or 965 class bay manual entries. You also have to disassemble 965 class driver so that you can get PCI/VEN port information such as North 244XX South 27XX. With Brute Force effort, I have succeeded on Video and USB Hub. I can use USB memory disk both on NT 4.0 and Windows 98 SE.

Dell Dimension Minitower

Intel 945, Socket 775, Dual Core, XP installed at factory

82801GB/GH/GR ATA/SATA II/RAID (I do not care for this kind of fake RAID)

nvidia 6600GT PCI-E

WD VelociRapror 300GB (298GiB) x 2

Seagate Barracuda ES2 1.0TB (954GiB)

Philips DVD-R x 1,

SB Audigy PCI

pinecloud

• 14 years later...
On 12/13/2008 at 9:43 AM, pinecloud said:

Intel seem to be influenced by at least one of software giants not to provide legacy OS drivers for their newer motherboard/chipset. You can still build up ground work manually to make PCI-E video and USB Hub to install even on 900 Series Chipset using still available 800 Series driver. You do need a Windows 2000 or XP to make screen capture shots of memory address port maps and IRQ displayed on device manager and then PCI/VEN device port codes from Hkey Local Machine Enum MF and PCI branches of registry taken from working Windows 2000 and then manually enter by hand on Windows 98 SE whose ground work already built by lower class drivers (i.e., 845 and 915 classes) gradually moving up to 945 or 965 class bay manual entries. You also have to disassemble 965 class driver so that you can get PCI/VEN port information such as North 244XX South 27XX. With Brute Force effort, I have succeeded on Video and USB Hub. I can use USB memory disk both on NT 4.0 and Windows 98 SE.

Wow, this is really interesting ! 

Thanks for sharing it can be useful to get some devices working