Anyone wanna test this? RunOnceEx Replacement.

Suggestion taken on board, thank you. I have one for you too, if you want it... Avoid the need for StartX by making 7Zip installers. Makes the configuration of everything else much simpler. I just made one for VMWare that includes the serial, all nicely packaged into one switchless exe file.

Yes i have been doing that with a heap of applications... be aware though that if you read up about creating 7-zip installers, you do still require the startx.exe or msistub.exe for use with msi files in most if not all cases.

Also i didn't want to add time to the installation process by archiving the applications when i have plenty of space on my DVD. Some things that are small, i have created 7-zip installers from, but office is huge, as are some other things and as such i would prefer to leave uncompressed as i don't need to worry about space.

Good suggestion and valuable for most people reading the thread though :D

I'm glad to have a good guinea pig for this project (More needed please!!!). I have now added a feature to parse the commandline for an alternative filename for the INI file. If no name is specified, the default is preinst.ini. There's also a couple of code cleanups and I've released the project under the GPL, so it's now totally Open Source.

I'm still getting strange results from some of the msi installers, particularly where large numbers of quotes are used. I'm trying to see if using single quotes would work. Probably be a couple of days before I get a new test up and running though.

I'm still getting strange results from some of the msi installers, particularly where large numbers of quotes are used. I'm trying to see if using single quotes would work. Probably be a couple of days before I get a new test up and running though.

Willing "guinea pig" and "crash test dummy" here :D

Edited by `Felix`

Well I don't know how your tests have gone felix, but I have now done three tests with the Virtual PC and I think it's now starting to look like a proper program. All 35 installers worked on my last run, although I'm still struggling with the quotation mark placement on MSI files within the script file, so I used 7Zip installers instead (I'll have to have a play with a couple of combinations of code, so I can see how it works). That said, the WildCard implementation works great and I can now REGEDIT files from the install directories, which I'm totally glad about.

I am going to test a little more over the weekend. Once I've worked out the MSI thing, I'm going to start a new thread and post all my findings up to now (5 pages is getting too long).