Windows XP Updates Downloader

dziubek

XP SP1 did not work as expected. :(

Back to "Service Pack 2" it works again.

Hmm, I admit I haven't checked SP1 throughly. I'll have a look into that.

edit : 16 17 updates ok.

edit2: 28 OK.

And could you display how many updates have to be downloaded ? (I know SP2 needs around 60 but it would be better I think)

54 updates, all for XP. smile.gif

See, I still don't understand what MS means by 'severity' or 'importance'. Last time I checked windows update everything there was 'Critical'. The MSSecure file seems to have a bit more options :P It's a good idea to add some counters. That migh give some comparison.

I'll also add a soft-run option - to show what would be done without actually downloading anything.

winupdl: Windows Updates Download from an Internet published list.

Starting version 0.4b

Current date is: 19/08/2006

Current time is: 22:12:30,12

Hotfixes will be downloaded to: Z:\winupdl\dl

DEBUG: CURRENT CONFIG

WINUPDL_BDATE=(20060817)

WINUPDL_DDIR=Z:\winupdl\dl

WINUPDL_Dir=Z:\winupdl

WINUPDL_ISNTANCE=25348

WINUPDL_LIST_ADDR=http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=18922

WINUPDL_LOG=Z:\winupdl\log\winupdl-20060819-221230.log

WINUPDL_Product=^Windows Server 2003.*

WINUPDL_ServicePack=Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1

WINUPDL_Severities=Unrated|Low|Moderate|Important|Critical

WINUPDL_TIMESTAMP=20060819-221230

WINUPDL_TmpPrefix=tmp\winupdl_25348_tmp

WINUPDL_TMP_DLPaths_FILE=tmp\winupdl_25348_tmp_DLPaths

WINUPDL_TMP_H01=tmp\winupdl_25348_tmp_h01

WINUPDL_TMP_L02=tmp\winupdl_25348_tmp_l02

WINUPDL_TMP_PatchLocationIDs_FILE=tmp\winupdl_25348_tmp_PatchLocationIDs

WINUPDL_TMP_ProductIDs_FILE=tmp\winupdl_25348_tmp_ProductIDs

WINUPDL_TMP_SCRIPT=tmp\winupdl_25348_tmp_script.cmd

WINUPDL_TMP_SED=tmp\winupdl_25348_tmp_filter.sed

WINUPDL_TMP_ServicePackIDs_FILE=tmp\winupdl_25348_tmp_ServicePackIDs

WINUPDL_TMP_SeverityIDs_FILE=tmp\winupdl_25348_tmp_SeverityIDs

WINUPDL_TMP_TRANSFORM=tmp\winupdl_25348_tmp_xml.transform

WINUPDL_TMP_UPDLIST_FILE=mssecure.xml

WINUPDL_TSdate=20060819

WINUPDL_TStime=221230

WINUPDL_UPDLIST_CAB=MSSecure_1033.cab

WINUPDL_VERSION=0.4b

WINUPDL_WGET_PARAMS=--verbose --tries=0 --timestamping --progress=dot:mega --append-output=Z:\winupdl\log\winupdl-20060819-221230.log

Downloaded: xx xxx xxx bytes in 36 files

some updates reported by Web Windows Update are not included in mssecure.xml.

The script works as expected. Great work tzeentch

Well, I'm back. I've been working on the script this week and implemented some rather nice changes. I'm still doing some tests because I encountered some rather nasty bugs there but I have totell you that things look pretty good now. I'm running tests with Win 2000 as well as XP and 2003 Server and things seem to go all right. Also I've noticed MS updated their MSSecure yesterday and there seem to be more updates on the list. I'm not sure what way do they work with updating this file :P

Later on I'm gonna have a look at what Bilou mentioned about the number of updates downloaded. Although with the new MSSecure I was getting around 50 updates for XP SP2 but I'll try to compare with some of the lists published on the internet.

Anyway, I plan to finish the tests today, pack it all together and hopefully release it today.

:D

New release is available now!!

Thanks to TAiN for the hosting again. The link is still the same - GET IT HERE

Briefly, changes in the current version (0.5b1) are:

Changes:
* moved configuration to a separate file
* implemented the command line switches
* cleaned up and rearranged the config files
* implemented the message printing and logging functions
* cleaned up and added messages generated by the program
* added a bit more checks to prevent the program from going further if something went wrong
* introduced a new bug :O
* fixed the above bug :D
* implemented the dry run switch
* implemented a function counting number of hotfixes to be downloaded
* added information about localized updates
* updated the README
* added -s or --save-list file to save the hotfix list
* fixed the query execution
* did some tests with Windows 2000 SP4, Windows Server 2003 Gold and
with French version of mssecure and everything seems to be all right

This is just a brief, see the full ChangeLog in docs/ dir to see the full list of changes. Now be sure to look through the README as lots of things have changed (mainly due to switching to config files).

There is an explanation in the README regarding the localized updates. It seems MS only supports few languages if it comes to mssecure. Instructions for those languages are there so if you're interested you can use it. Checked with french version and worked fine. For those who MS doesn't like ;) I may come up with an alternative way to download those hotfixes but it can be less robust. I may have an idea how to do it, just don't know when will I find the time.

In the meantime, try it and let me know, I'll try to shoot the bugs first :D (if any of course).

And what if I write "include common.cfg" in xpsp2.cfg ? :D

Haha, true, don't try this at home ;)

ATM I have two comments:

-don't exit the script directly, first say "job done" or something else.

-could you write how many updates have been downloaded at a moment. Thanks. smile.gif

Hmm, I was sure I added a msg like "Finished. Cleaning up" or sth. I'll check that.

Regarding how many updates downloaded, do you mean the ones that were actually downloaded? eg. apart from the ones that were already there?

I ran it a bunch of times and it looks good but I'll test it in a VM : updates for XP SP1 are not the same than the one I had.

So I can't pronounce myself without a VM.

Yes, I know, Bilou mentioned sth about this as well. I've just ran a test with a VM, I downloaded the hotfixes, integrated them on to the iso, installed, and after installation windows update still had few updates to download. I'll have to check that but after a brief look I think the ones that it offered were the non-critical ones, or whatever you call them. On many lists they are considered 'additional'. It just seems they are not included in mssecure. I'm not sure though why Windows Installer is one of them. To be honest when I started this project I thought MS puts ALL their updates in the mssecure file. It seems it's not entirely the case. I'll definitely see what I can find out about it.

ATM I have two comments:

-don't exit the script directly, first say "job done" or something else.

-could you write how many updates have been downloaded at a moment. Thanks. smile.gif

Hmm, I was sure I added a msg like "Finished. Cleaning up" or sth. I'll check that.

Regarding how many updates downloaded, do you mean the ones that were actually downloaded? eg. apart from the ones that were already there?

I thought of a something like :

23 updates downloaded out of 53
And then, the line would change. However, I'm not sure you can "change" the content of the line with Batch : if you have to write a new line for that, then it's not worht because it would make too many lines. :}

Also, I ran your script from cmd and you wrote something.

You just forgot to add a "Pause"after that. :P

I ran it a bunch of times and it looks good but I'll test it in a VM : updates for XP SP1 are not the same than the one I had.

So I can't pronounce myself without a VM.

Yes, I know, Bilou mentioned sth about this as well. I've just ran a test with a VM, I downloaded the hotfixes, integrated them on to the iso, installed, and after installation windows update still had few updates to download. I'll have to check that but after a brief look I think the ones that it offered were the non-critical ones, or whatever you call them. On many lists they are considered 'additional'. It just seems they are not included in mssecure. I'm not sure though why Windows Installer is one of them. To be honest when I started this project I thought MS puts ALL their updates in the mssecure file. It seems it's not entirely the case. I'll definitely see what I can find out about it.

:ph34r: