Worderfect Office

xenium

Hello,

I see in the poll of this moment: "What office software do you use? " the option Worderfect Office. I was wondering what kind of office this is and where I can see some screenshots and maybe where I can download it.

Much thanks...

You can download trial versions of WordPerfect Office at corel.com.

The new version WordPerfect Office 13 came out.

The main positive of this office suite is that it's more mature and better than OOo and cheaper than M$ Office. Compared to M$ Office, it has one huge plus, and that is the WordPerfect wordprocessor program itself.

Whereas M$ Office and OOo use "styles" which are difficult to use (almost like applying object oriented programming to word processing), WordPerfect uses "stream-formatting" codes. There are 2 types of codes, "open gate" codes and "closed gate" codes.

It works like this. You type stuff and it appears on the document, then you select double spacing which is an "open-gate" code. What this means is that from the appearance of the double spacing open gate code, all text is double spaced until you change it later.

A closed gate code is one where there is a an "on" code and and "off" code, like HTML.

It's a very simple and powerful way to format documents in contrast to styles. WordPerfect allows you to see all of the codes being used with the Reveal Codes feature and you can directly format the codes, add codes, or remove codes for incredibly fine control over your document.

Once you get used to Reveal Codes, you can't go back to a $hitty style-based wordprocessor like Word or Writer, where you have to worry about style sheet dependencies, or you change a style by accident and then all the formatting in your document gets screwed up.

EDIT: BIG DRAWBACK to WordPerfect is lack of Unicode. If you just stick to English and Western European languages, it won't be a problem, but if you use other foreign languages, WordPerfect is not for you.

Edited by saugatak